• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Get in there!

BBC News

Parliament can no longer block a no-deal Brexit, the health secretary has said.

During his bid for the Tory leadership, Matt Hancock said no deal was "not an available choice" to the next PM, as MPs "will never allow it to happen".

He told the BBC he had now changed his mind because they had a chance to block it in a series of votes last month, but failed to muster the numbers.

Jeremy Corbyn said Labour would do all it could to stop no deal.

But Downing Street insisted the UK would be leaving on 31 October "whatever the circumstances", whether a deal had been agreed with the EU or not.

"Politicians cannot choose which votes to respect. They promised to respect the referendum result and we must do," No 10 said.

Asked whether Mr Johnson would respect the outcome of votes in Parliament - including a vote of no confidence in his government - the spokesman refused to be drawn, calling it a "hypothetical" question.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

bye bye Scotland and probably Northern Ireland. Wales will splinter off in time when the disaster unfolds

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Get in there!

BBC News

Who in their right mind voted for no deal?
      Who thinks that it is a good idea?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        bye bye Scotland and probably Northern Ireland. Wales will splinter off in time when the disaster unfolds

More good news.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          That is not why I'm happy at the news. I am happy at the news because it means those wets in parliament who sought to stall the UK leaving cannot now do so on the pretence of blocking leaving without a deal.

I'd prefer a deal but the lack of one shouldn't stop us leaving.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I thought the only good reason to stay in the EU was get divorced is difficult. It causes disruption. But you come out of the other side much better off.

Maybe we should ask the resident CUK divorce expert?

Comment

That is not why I'm happy at the news. I am happy at the news because it means those wets in parliament who sought to stall the UK leaving cannot now do so on the pretence of blocking leaving without a deal.

So, back to the usual question that you don't like answering: Are you happy that the UK throws out the Belfast Agreement and any loss of life that results from refusing to reach a deal?

Comment

I would accept any deal with the EU that does not involve the UK bending over and taking a rogering without lube. As the photos of the aftermath of the CUK mod Christmas party can testify, that is painful.

Comment

So, back to the usual question that you don't like answering: Are you happy that the UK throws out the Belfast Agreement and any loss of life that results from refusing to reach a deal?
                  Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. Even if it is the fault of the EU. I support their right to break the GFA.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. Even if it is the fault of the EU. I support their right to break the GFA.

Why is it the "fault of the EU"?

Comment

Working...
                    X