• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Ass-umptions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    How long to drive from Calais to Roscoff and from Cork to Dublin?

How often do the ferries run?

Not really going to help, is it?

Ah yes, because there's no other options, and the only location in Europe where freight starts is Calais.

Zeebrugge is about 120km from Calais, Rotterdam is a bit further, and both are closer for Germany/Eastern Europe
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Ah yes, because there's no other options, and the only location in Europe where freight starts is Calais.

Zeebrugge is about 120km from Calais, Rotterdam is a bit further, and both are closer for Germany/Eastern Europe
      I have been responding to BPs comments regarding ferries from Calais to Dublin and the distances/time involved.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        When does the Calais-Dublin direct ferry start?
        The day after the Irish have something that the French want. So, basically, never...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          The day after the Irish have something that the French want. So, basically, never...
          I thought trade was a two way street... For sure at least the French have something the Irish want...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
            I thought trade was a two way street... For sure at least the French have something the Irish want...

Yup. Power. And the Irish can't even dream of having that...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post

You don't understand Brexit mentality - The UK is the only country in the world that does any trade with anyone. Ireland only sells things to the UK, nowhere else. The EU only trades with the UK, nowhere else. When the UK leaves with no deal, which is what these people didn't vote for, but they say they now want, it's because if the UK shuts is borders to external trade then all the countries of the world will collapse.
              Nowhere can survive without the UK, don't you get it?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Yup. Power. And the Irish can't even dream of having that...
                An odd comment, coming from a country that has reduced its soft power so much that it’s flagged ships need protection in the Gulf, and reduced it’s hard power to such a minimum that it can’t protect them itself.

One would suspect that power comes in many forms, and the U.K. is slowly finding out that, alone, it has none.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  An odd comment, coming from a country that has reduced its soft power so much that it’s flagged ships need protection in the Gulf, and reduced it’s hard power to such a minimum that it can’t protect them itself.

One would suspect that power comes in many forms, and the U.K. is slowly finding out that, alone, it has none.
                  That's what a ship's flag is for, FFS, where do you pricks get your education?

We have a Navy with Global reach, don't kid yourself otherwise.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    That's what a ship's flag is for, FFS, where do you pricks get your education?

We have a Navy with Global reach, don't kid yourself otherwise.
                    I expected that sort of a comment from a simple grunt.

With soft power, flagged ships don’t need hard protection because of diplomacy and international relations. I know that’s hard for someone that used to kick doors in for a living to understand.

The Navy begs to differ, by the way.

The Royal Navy - Size and Strength Over Time in Visuals

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      I expected that sort of a comment from a simple grunt.

With soft power, flagged ships don’t need hard protection because of diplomacy and international relations. I know that’s hard for someone that used to kick doors in for a living to understand.

The Navy begs to differ, by the way.

The Royal Navy - Size and Strength Over Time in Visuals
                      I'm glad I didn't disappoint. Diplomacy and international relations only go so far. We have to be able to demonstrate the iron hand inside the velvet glove.

I hope that helps but I've a feeling I'm pissing into the wind with a cretin like you on the receiving end.

Comment

Working...
                      X