• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone believe a general election could happen soon after Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All that to say, I don't think we'll see a different administration.

The anti no-dealers will be focusing on legislative routes, without changing the administration, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      All that to say, I don't think we'll see a different administration.

The anti no-dealers will be focusing on legislative routes, without changing the administration, I reckon.
      I think so too. VONC is too high risk. Parliament vs Executive is also a much more interesting struggle.

Comment

No 10 cancels staff leave, hinting at likelihood of snap election | Boris Johnson | The Guardian
        Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Ultimately, Corbyn has always been the backstop that made Brexit likely.
          This, over and over again.

Comment

Risk

The risk is that the remainers in parliament pass a law preventing Brexit before the election date, the process starts but Brexit doesn't happen on the 31st Oct and the whole thing backfires on Boris because he is seen as having broken his main promise.

That said there may be no alternative to an election if a vote of no confidence is lost.

My guess is there will be an election somewhere between 7th Nov 2019 and 7th May 2020 anyway as the current situation of a majority of 1 is not viable

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
              That would be less smart than when May asked for a GE (and that was really, really reallyyyy stupid)! Right now he as a majority, very very slim and probably not manageable but still he has it. At this point in a general election Tories would struggle to be the most voted party, leave it alone getting anything close to a majority!!!
              I was wondering if he may lose a vote of no confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                That is the story in the press - my guess is he will win initially at least, there may be another though..

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  For a Torie to vote for the no confidence vote means, shooting himself on the foot as it's quite clear that a new election at this point will result in less seats for Tories than currently. That said doesn't mean it can't happen, specially when you just need one or two 'rebels'.

I wasn't saying that Boris has any other option than accepting a potential GE if a no confidence vote passes, was saying he would be very dumb calling elections on his own initiative (as May did in the pass).
                  "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                    For a Torie to vote for the no confidence vote means, shooting himself on the foot as it's quite clear that a new election at this point will result in less seats for Tories than currently. That said doesn't mean it can't happen, specially when you just need one or two 'rebels'.

I wasn't saying that Boris has any other option than accepting a potential GE if a no confidence vote passes, was saying he would be very dumb calling elections on his own initiative (as May did in the pass).
                    Which pass was that? The Khyber?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandspring View Post
                      The risk is that the remainers in parliament pass a law preventing Brexit before the election date, the process starts but Brexit doesn't happen on the 31st Oct and the whole thing backfires on Boris because he is seen as having broken his main promise.

That said there may be no alternative to an election if a vote of no confidence is lost.

My guess is there will be an election somewhere between 7th Nov 2019 and 7th May 2020 anyway as the current situation of a majority of 1 is not viable
                      I was wondering if the Tory ant-no-deal brigade might vote against Tories in a vote of no confidence?

Hammond has implied he would. I am not sure how many would if it happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X