• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of movement 'will end' says the government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Could a Leaver please explain this:
    I’m not a Leaver (obvs) but movement of people over any border is a red herring.

The U.K. has minimal border force for immigration checks at point of entry. The vast majority of immigration checks for purposes of work/employment/residency is performed by the private sector, by companies and landlords checking eligibility.

(Almost) anyone from (almost) any country can currently apply for a holiday visa, enter the country, and then simply not go home - the U.K. doesn’t stamp anyone leaving so have no idea how many illegals are here at any one time. Nothing much will change at the border for now, the checks will still be done by the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
      Ireland is not part of Schengen zone so a border between Germany and Ireland will still be in place after Brexit.

Obviously this won't solve the problem of a German travel to Ireland and then enter in the UK, since a German will still have free movement between Ireland and Germany. I think that British politicians believe that they can impose limitations between Ireland and the rest of Europe, since they are used to get preferential treatment from EU and do whatever they want!

I honestly believe that the main reason that Ireland stayed out of schengen area was to easy the movement between Ireland and UK, so I believe it's probably a matter of time for Ireland to join the Schengen after Brexit.
      I think what you will find, and has already been mooted by his inner cabal, is that Johnson wants Ireland to leave the EU for a period of time and be under UK law regarding all this free trade and movement
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think what you will find, and has already been mooted by his inner cabal, is that Johnson wants Ireland to leave the EU for a period of time and be under UK law regarding all this free trade and movement
        Whatever... both will derive from the same! UK getting preferential treatment from EU and doing whatever it wants. Somehow British politicians believe this will keep going even after leaving EU

More, they will get offended and blame EU if it doesn't...
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          The Irish collaborating with the Germans? Heaven forfend!
          Irish don't have to collaborate with Germans, just follow the rules of free movement, that will still stand after UK leaves! I know it's hard for some to understand, but the world doesn't orbit around the UK, not even the EU...
          "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
            Irish don't have to collaborate with Germans, just follow the rules of free movement, that will still stand after UK leaves! I know it's hard for some to understand, but the world doesn't orbit around the UK, not even the EU...
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Best way to make that happen is for him to do a Putin.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X