• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No sign of the Brexit house price crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's not much of a crash because there aren't many houses on the market, and demand is high enough to meet supply. Sellers are not dropping their prices, so property is taking longer to sell.

We'll see a crash if there is a sudden glut on property hitting the market. An increase in rates could trigger this as affordability becomes an issue, but the government wouldn't be a fan of this as they know the value in our homes is what makes us feel 'wealthy', and they need us to feel this way to keep the brexit lie alive.

Nothing to see here. I never expected Brexit to cause a house price crash .... not sure if others did, but can't recall it being a major part of so called project fear.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Stalemate, overall, I'd say. RightMove is a clowncar/asking price index though. Most decent/time-averaged metrics show prices are stable, overall, but increasing and declining significantly in some areas (NW vs. SE, for example).

Confidence doesn't cause serious crashes. Needs to be an actual shock to the real economy that increases joblessness and/or reduces lending, like MF tripping over his bulbous foot and causing an earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        There's not much of a crash because there aren't many houses on the market, and demand is high enough to meet supply. Sellers are not dropping their prices, so property is taking longer to sell.

We'll see a crash if there is a sudden glut on property hitting the market. An increase in rates could trigger this as affordability becomes an issue, but the government wouldn't be a fan of this as they know the value in our homes is what makes us feel 'wealthy', and they need us to feel this way to keep the brexit lie alive.

Nothing to see here. I never expected Brexit to cause a house price crash .... not sure if others did, but can't recall it being a major part of so called project fear.
        If (like is happening) Brexit leds to a fast depreciation of the pound that might even help to bring house prices up, due to foreign investment. This will be more noticeable in big cities!

Anyway historically every 10 years there is a correction on the house market and the last one was 11 years ago, so one is due at any moment, with or without Brexit!

IF something, Brexit might work as a trigger for this correction...
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
          If the £ keeps falling maybe we'll get loads of foreigners coming here and taking our houses.
          They will buy the houses and leave them empty....

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
            If (like is happening) Brexit leds to a fast depreciation of the pound that might even help to bring house prices up, due to foreign investment. This will be more noticeable in big cities!

Anyway historically every 10 years there is a correction on the house market and the last one was 11 years ago, so one is due at any moment, with or without Brexit!

IF something, Brexit might work as a trigger for this correction...
            2008 was hardly a correction. A minor blip. Last correction 89-95.

Comment

Working...
            X