• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I am. I'm sitting on the terrace at home in beautiful sunlight with a coffee and my laptop planning my next business excursion within the EU using my freedom of movement to work anywhere there
    Smug | Definition of Smug by Merriam-Webster

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Yes, do or die.
      Ah yes, from the poem: The Charge of the Light Brigade by Lord Tennyson honoring Britain’s defeat at the Battle of Balaclava in 1854, during the Crimean War. - The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson | Poetry Foundation

“Theirs not to reason why / Theirs but to do and die / Into the valley of Death / Rode the six hundred.”

As it happens, it is also the denouement of Robert Burns’s ode to Robert the Bruce and the Scottish victory over the English at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314:

“Lay the proud usurpers low! / Tyrants fall in every foe! / Liberty’s in every blow! / Let us do or die!”
      Johnson ****ed that one up didn't he?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Ah yes, from the poem: The Charge of the Light Brigade by Lord Tennyson honoring Britain’s defeat at the Battle of Balaclava in 1854, during the Crimean War. - The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson | Poetry Foundation

As it happens, it is also the denouement of Robert Burns’s ode to Robert the Bruce and the Scottish victory over the English at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314:

Johnson ****ed that one up didn't he?
        In what way? How else would you emphasise your commitment?

I suppose he could take a leaf out of your book, "It's too difficult, I'm going to give up".
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          In what way? How else would you emphasise your commitment?

I suppose he could take a leaf out of your book, "It's too difficult, I'm going to give up".
          Sorry I triggered you, now calm down
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Sorry I triggered you, now calm down
            Triggered? Hardly. Keep trying though, wouldn't want you to give up. "Do or Die", you know the score.
            Last edited by Zigenare; 21 August 2019, 10:21.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Giving up control? Kinda assumes they had control in the first place.
              Oh, you spotted that. No, we were never "in control", hence the "we're leaving" thing.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Oh, you spotted that. No, we were never "in control", hence the "we're leaving" thing.

So this is what a strong and stable government looks like...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  So this is what a strong and stable government looks like...
                  Yep, we go toe-to-toe with the rest of the EU to try and negotiate a deal that is acceptable, on the understanding that if we don't work out a deal we're leaving anyway.

An approach that should've been used by Theresa May but what do you expect when you ask a whinging remainer with no balls, figuratively speaking, to do the job!

Comment

Yep, we go toe-to-toe with the rest of the EU to try and negotiate a deal that is acceptable, on the understanding that if we don't work out a deal we're leaving anyway.
                    You've said that before. And again and again. It's like the divorcée turned bunny boiler.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

An approach that should've been used by Theresa May but what do you expect when you ask a whinging remainer with no balls, figuratively speaking, to do the job!
                      And what makes you believe that threatening with 'we leave without a deal if we don't get the deal we want' works as any kind of leverage on the negotiations with the EU?
                      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Working...
                      X