Giving up control Giving up control
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,791

    Default Giving up control

    There is a small but important detail on UK withdrawal from EU meetings, contained in the official letter announcing the move. The
    UK has given its vote to Finland (current EU presidency holder) meaning its absence shouldn't block EU decisions.

    In other words - giving up control.

    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    There is a small but important detail on UK withdrawal from EU meetings, contained in the official letter announcing the move. The
    UK has given its vote to Finland (current EU presidency holder) meaning its absence shouldn't block EU decisions.

    In other words - giving up control.

    And?

    We're leaving and we're polite enough not to **** up the running of the EU day to day business. Perhap you've forgotten what courtesy is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

  3. #3

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    And?

    We're leaving and we're polite enough not to **** up the running of the EU day to day business. Perhap you've forgotten what courtesy is.
    But the UK hasn't left, will it ever, but has given up some of it's powers that it might regret, horse, flee, stable, come to mind?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,330

    Default

    We already pay a bunch of Brexiting MEPs that don’t turn up to meetings, can’t they just not turn up to a few more?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    .
    This appears to be one of those rarest of occasions where you've completely missed the point.

    The purpose was not to cede control, but to trigger remoaners.

    Job's a good'un.


  6. #6

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    21,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    This appears to be one of those rarest of occasions where you've completely missed the point.

    The purpose was not to cede control, but to trigger remoaners.

    Job's a good'un.

    This is one of those occasions* where you've missed the point. Brexitidiots have been going on about how they'll screw with the EU to ensure a "good deal".

    (Let's see who's triggered by that )




    *Not rare
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,558

    Default

    Giving up control? Kinda assumes they had control in the first place.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    This is one of those occasions* where you've missed the point. Brexitidiots have been going on about how they'll screw with the EU to ensure a "good deal".

    (Let's see who's triggered by that )




    *Not rare
    Can I offer you a comfort blanket to soothe your cretinism?

    Lots of excellent remoaner-triggering headlines tomorrow morning.

    Like I said, job's a good'un*.








    *you twunt

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    And Stephen Barclay signed the previously passed law to repeal the 1972 European Communities act.

    Certainly looks like they are moving to "No Deal".

    The extension allowed for the UK to exit earlier than 31st Oct. So maybe that's the plan. Why wait until parliament comes back from its holidays and tries to hijack the whole show? Better to take control of the timetable and screw the opposition.

    The EU has handily rejected out of hand the latest overture to renegotiate. Thats good political cover.

    What does the PM have to gain by waiting until 31st October?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtomagain View Post
    And Stephen Barclay signed the previously passed law to repeal the 1972 European Communities act.

    Certainly looks like they are moving to "No Deal".

    The extension allowed for the UK to exit earlier than 31st Oct. So maybe that's the plan. Why wait until parliament comes back from its holidays and tries to hijack the whole show? Better to take control of the timetable and screw the opposition.

    The EU has handily rejected out of hand the latest overture to renegotiate. Thats good political cover.

    What does the PM have to gain by waiting until 31st October?
    Sadly, he can't do that unilaterally. The new exit date is part of an international agreement and it cannot be overturned without a new agreement, which they're unlikely to offer (they want to see how it plays out in Parliament). The original agreement would need to have contained an early escape clause and it didn't (e.g. "if the UK signals that it no longer intends to ratify the WA, then the UK exits on the first day of the next calendar month". Something like that).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •