• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to the Irish border issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Try Google.
    Leavers reject leaving the EU because it is the wrong type of leave
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Gah, FFS man, “Southern Ireland” is even worse! Where were you educated, in a skip?

“Rulers” (and I know you’re using this pejoratively) has nothing to do with it. The people (remember them?) rather like being in the EU, by 93% at last poll.

The only thing you’ve said that’s even close to making any sense is that they don’t want a unified Ireland. It’s probably too close to call, a referendum on uniting could go either way. It’s not just the cost, they’re a different people up there.
      rather like being in the EU
      but if the "special status" that citizens of the ROI enjoy as a result of the shared history with the UK, were removed, e.g freedom of travel and free access to the NHS, which existed prior to the ROI and the UK joining the EU, then perhaps that might influence any future vote.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        Get you, Eire is simply a concise way of saying Southern Ireland. I take it you think everyone's a cretin who has a different POV? Ireland, as in Southern Ireland have a choice and those first two are perfectly valid choices although unlikely as their rulers won't let them anywhere near the option of leaving the EU. They also don't want a unified Ireland as even the Catholics in the North see they're onto a good thing with the >£10bn per year subsidy they enjoy. Southern Ireland can't afford integration financially, politically and socially
        I've had this argument here before. Even the presence of the title Eire (without the grave accent) appearing on official positions in the EU would not deter the critics. Ever since I can remember (I'm 71), my generation has generally referred to the ROI as Eire. This from Wiki -

The 1922 state, comprising 26 of the 32 counties of Ireland, was "styled and known as the Irish Free State".[17] The Constitution of Ireland, adopted in 1937, provides that "the name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland". Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 states, "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland." The 1948 Act does not name the state as "Republic of Ireland", because to have done so would have put it in conflict with the Constitution.[18]

The government of the United Kingdom used the name "Eire" (without the diacritic) and, from 1949, "Republic of Ireland", for the state;[19] it was not until the 1998 Good Friday Agreement that it used the name "Ireland".[20]

As well as "Ireland", "Éire" or "the Republic of Ireland", the state is also referred to as "the Republic", "Southern Ireland" or "the South".[21] In an Irish republican context it is often referred to as "the Free State" or "the 26 Counties".[22]

many older people will use the description "wireless" whilst younger people will use the term "radio" and likewise "hit parade" and "charts"
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 23 August 2019, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          but if the "special status" that citizens of the ROI enjoy as a result of the shared history with the UK, were removed, e.g freedom of travel and free access to the NHS, which existed prior to the ROI and the UK joining the EU, then perhaps that might influence any future vote.
          You can “if” all you like. Deal with the facts as they currently are.

Comment

I've had this argument here before. Even the presence of the title Eire (without the grave accent) appearing on official positions in the EU would not deter the critics. Ever since I can remember (I'm 71), my generation has generally referred to the ROI as Eire. This from Wiki -

The 1922 state, comprising 26 of the 32 counties of Ireland, was "styled and known as the Irish Free State".[17] The Constitution of Ireland, adopted in 1937, provides that "the name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland". Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 states, "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland." The 1948 Act does not name the state as "Republic of Ireland", because to have done so would have put it in conflict with the Constitution.[18]

The government of the United Kingdom used the name "Eire" (without the diacritic) and, from 1949, "Republic of Ireland", for the state;[19] it was not until the 1998 Good Friday Agreement that it used the name "Ireland".[20]

As well as "Ireland", "Éire" or "the Republic of Ireland", the state is also referred to as "the Republic", "Southern Ireland" or "the South".[21] In an Irish republican context it is often referred to as "the Free State" or "the 26 Counties".[22]

many older people will use the description "wireless" whilst younger people will use the term "radio" and likewise "hit parade" and "charts"
            The quotes you produce prove the point. “In the English language, Ireland”. “From 1949, Republic of Ireland”.

If the U.K. government can change, so can you.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              This again
              And...AGAIN!!! FFS...
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Éire does NOT have a grave accent. It does however have an acute one.

<snip>
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  Get you, Eire is simply a concise way of saying Southern Ireland. I take it you think everyone's a cretin who has a different POV? Ireland, as in Southern Ireland have a choice and those first two are perfectly valid choices although unlikely as their rulers won't let them anywhere near the option of leaving the EU. They also don't want a unified Ireland as even the Catholics in the North see they're onto a good thing with the >£10bn per year subsidy they enjoy. Southern Ireland can't afford integration financially, politically and socially
                  There is Republic of Ireland (or if you want to abbreviate Ireland or ROI) and Northern Ireland (NI)... Never heard of Southern Ireland!

If you say Ireland, anyone that isn't a cretin will understand you are referring to Republic of Ireland!!!
                  "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    Indeed, it's a diacritic. Think of it like the average remoaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                      yes, I stand corrected

Comment

Working...
                      X