• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to the Irish border issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And what do you want in terms of a trade deal with the EU?
    And what do you want to do about the Irish border?
    And what do you want to do about non-UK citizens who have lived in the UK for years?
    And what do you want in terms of a trade deal with the EU? Open to negotiation. However I'd be quite willing to trade with the rest of Europe under their standards.

And what do you want to do about the Irish border? Me personally? I'd implement a border. Anyone ****s about I'd arrest them. If the US and Canada can share a border of 8891Km then surely we can do the same with the republic.

And what do you want to do about non-UK citizens who have lived in the UK for years? I assume you're talking about non-UK EU Citizens, in which case if they like the place so much they can become UK citizens, failing that, they fill the relevant forms in and are granted leave to stay - something that I would hope would be reciprocal.
    Last edited by Zigenare; 23 August 2019, 11:25.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The main issue with the Irish border is the SPS checks and, secondarily, the lack of a functioning administration in NI. There are other issues, but SPS is the most difficult one to solve because it involves thousands of sensitive movements across a very porous border. I'd be fine with NI aligning on SPS. If the DUP were not supporting the Tories, that probably would've happened long ago. Some checks in the Irish sea are fine by me as the price for rUK divergence. The EU massively over-reached with the backstop (effective customs union) and sought to convince the bedwetters among us that everything within it was necessary for the GFA.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        I doubt you'd accept the result.
        Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If there was a second referendum (which you seem to be against), would you accept the result?
        Let's implement the results of the first one.
        Quite, but it doesn't really answer the question. If there was a second referendum without the results of first one being implemented, would you accept the result?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Quite, but it doesn't really answer the question. If there was a second referendum without the results of first one being implemented, would you accept the result?
          If there were a second referendum then of course I would accept the result.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            I've had this argument here before. Even the presence of the title Eire (without the grave accent) appearing on official positions in the EU would not deter the critics. Ever since I can remember (I'm 71), my generation has generally referred to the ROI as Eire. This from Wiki -
            You're memory is clearly as bad as your facts ..... you're as old as my Mom and she's never called Ireland Eire. None of her friends call it Eire. I've only ever heard it called Eire on this forum.

You, sir, are full of it.

Also, if you're 71 why are you on an active Contractor's forum? You're either:

a) A rubbish contractor that you're still having to work at 71 and can't afford to retire or/

b) A troll

Of course, you may b c), both of the above
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              You're memory is clearly as bad as your facts ..... you're as old as my Mom and she's never called Ireland Eire. None of her friends call it Eire. I've only ever heard it called Eire on this forum.

a) A rubbish contractor that you're still having to work at 71 and can't afford to retire or/

b) A troll

He's pissing in our general direction for misspending our "youth" in the cretin subforum of CUK.

Ask him about his employment tribunal.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

b) A troll

You're memory???

"old as my Mom" are you by any chance a septic?

FFS, get your own tulip together before you have a go at the other senile old goats!

Comment

You're memory???

"old as my Mom" are you by any chance a septic?

FFS, get your own tulip together before you have a go at the other senile old goats!
                  Multi tasking, with the less important task being here ... I really can't be @rsed to check my grammar or spelling. Plus, the odd cock-up triggers the likes of you, so .... every cloud and all that

Re your Q of my use of "Mom" ... I'm from the Black Country, it's what we say (Is it Mom or Mum? How do Brummies talk about their Mummies? - Birmingham Live). Maybe you need to learn a little bit about the UK, before you start going all xenophobe
                  Last edited by Whorty; 23 August 2019, 18:44.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

If there were a second referendum then of course I would accept the result.
                    Since you believe that the first referendum should be respected, you do have perfectly reasonable grounds for viewing a second referendum (outwith Brexit) as illegitimate.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Since you believe that the first referendum should be respected, you do have perfectly reasonable grounds for viewing a second referendum (outwith Brexit) as illegitimate.
                      Now, that was very clever. However, you didn't ask the question "Do you think a second referendum would be legitimate?"

If you read again my response you will see that I said "If there were a second referendum then of course I would accept the result."

Comment

Working...
                      X