• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to the Irish border issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You're memory is clearly as bad as your facts ..... you're as old as my Mom and she's never called Ireland Eire. None of her friends call it Eire. I've only ever heard it called Eire on this forum.
    It was used quite a bit when I was growing up, in the 70s. I recall atlases with it in. Google ngram viewer shows peak of use in the 1940s, then a gradual tapering off, except for a bump just after 1980.

Ireland has always been more popular though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Now, that was very clever. However, you didn't ask the question "Do you think a second referendum would be legitimate?"

If you read again my response you will see that I said "If there were a second referendum then of course I would accept the result."
      Why would a second referendum not be legitimate?

And given that you would accept the result of a second referendum, then presumably you must think it would be legitimate
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It was used quite a bit when I was growing up, in the 70s. I recall atlases with it in. Google ngram viewer shows peak of use in the 1940s, then a gradual tapering off, except for a bump just after 1980.

Ireland has always been more popular though.
        I also grew up in the 70's and have never heard Eire commonly used. Asked a few of my mates, who also grew up in the 70s but in different parts of the country, and they equally haven't heard Eire used commonly.

As for atlases, well I recall as a kid they showed East Germany, Yugoslavia etc .... but we still don't refer to them today, we use the common names instead.

Unfortunately the likes of JtB and his generation, they still live in the 'glorious' past with rose tinted glasses. They can't accept that the world has moved on, and continues to do so, and that a new generation is now leading this change. They're trying to force their old colonial views onto the new world order. Change scares them.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          He's pissing in our general direction for misspending our "youth" in the cretin subforum of CUK.

Ask him about his employment tribunal.
          "youth" i fear has past many of us behind The younger contractors are out there spending their cash on partying; it's us older buggers baiting each other on here as we're too knackered to party every night

I find it quite sad that a 71 year, who is coming to the end of his time on this earth, is wasting his time arguing about something (Brexit) that, let's face it, he's not really going to see any benefits from. We only have so much time on this little rock.

And as I said .... he's an unsuccessful contractor. P1ssing in our direction as he's jealous that (most of us) are successful where he failed

Comment

"youth" i fear has past many of us behind The younger contractors are out there spending their cash on partying; it's us older buggers baiting each other on here as we're too knackered to party every night

I find it quite sad that a 71 year, who is coming to the end of his time on this earth, is wasting his time arguing about something (Brexit) that, let's face it, he's not really going to see any benefits from. We only have so much time on this little rock.

And as I said .... he's an unsuccessful contractor. P1ssing in our direction as he's jealous that (most of us) are successful where he failed
            Aye, bang on.

Comment

I'd piss myself laughing if he outlives you!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'd piss myself laughing if he outlives you!
                Firstly, I have 20 odd years on him. There is a genetic history in my family of rather good old age, so the odds of him outliving me, unless I have a horrible accident, are not in his favour.

Secondly, you'll never know if he has outlived me. If I die suddenly, there will be no posting on here from my account. You might surmise the lack of posting is that I'm feeding the worms, but it could equally be that I've fully retired, packed up my campervan, and gone full time travelling. Unlike others, once I've fully retired I won't be on CuK anymore as it will have outlived it's purpose.

Thirdly, if I do die first ... do you really think I'll be in any position to get triggered by you laughing at me going first? I don't believe in anything after death, so once I'm gone, I'm gone. Hence why I think it a bit sad that JtB (and other similar older guys) are wasting their time towards the end of their lives on here arguing about something that they will not see much of.

Lastly, if he outlives me, and you burst into laughter, yes, you'll probably p1ss yourself but this will be through age and incontinence

Comment

Firstly, I have 20 odd years on him. There is a genetic history in my family of rather good old age, so the odds of him outliving me, unless I have a horrible accident, are not in his favour.

Secondly, you'll never know if he has outlived me. If I die suddenly, there will be no posting on here from my account. You might surmise the lack of posting is that I'm feeding the worms, but it could equally be that I've fully retired, packed up my campervan, and gone full time travelling. Unlike others, once I've fully retired I won't be on CuK anymore as it will have outlived it's purpose.

Thirdly, if I do die first ... do you really think I'll be in any position to get triggered by you laughing at me going first? I don't believe in anything after death, so once I'm gone, I'm gone. Hence why I think it a bit sad that JtB (and other similar older guys) are wasting their time towards the end of their lives on here arguing about something that they will not see much of.

Lastly, if he outlives me, and you burst into laughter, yes, you'll probably p1ss yourself but this will be through age and incontinence
                  Yep, Karma can be a bitch!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Yep, Karma can be a bitch!
                    Karma means action, work or deed; it also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual influence the future of that individual.
                    Dude, I don't believe in spiritualism, sky fairies or any such thing, so I'm going to have to laugh in the face of your 'karma'. Life is for living

Comment

Dude, I don't believe in spiritualism, sky fairies or any such thing, so I'm going to have to laugh in the face of your 'karma'. Life is for living
                      But not if you're 71, eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X