• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to the Irish border issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    But not if you're 71, eh?
    Healthy living. Giving one an extra 30 years of living in an old peoples home with a catheter. On the plus side it really annoys the children!

Comment

Mick Jagger is 76 and not retired so what is wrong with being 71 and still being an IT contractor.
      Maybe he is a successful IT consultant but doesn't wish to play with a train set or play old man's marbles or play bingo.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
        Mick Jagger is 76 and not retired so what is wrong with being 71 and still being an IT contractor.
        Maybe he is a successful IT consultant but doesn't wish to play with a train set or play old man's marbles or play bingo.

If you are 71 and still a contractor you should get a life there's more to life than work tbf

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post

I don't think Mick Jagger is a suitable comparator. He's in an 'industry' where people 'work' longer because, let's face it, it's not 'work' as we know it. IT contractors who have been successful during their career will be looking to retire in their 50's, but maybe still doing bits and bobs into their 60's just to stave off boredom. If we still need to work in our 60's, let alone 70's, then something has gone wrong. We earn near enough twice the amount of permies, who will be looking to retire at 65-68.

At late 40's I almost have enough to retire today, and I've only been contracting since 2006. I've taken 12 months off to travel, and rarely now work more than 8 months a year. I don't live frugally (I've spent 10's of thousands on holidays). This is not a humble brag, just pointing out that 13 years contracting as it has been for me (with a year off in between), should set up 90% of contractors easily. If you still need to work at 71 .... what's left of your life is passing you by!
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

A 71 year old who bases his opinion on Brexit on believing that just before we joined the EC, the exchange rate was 1GBP = 4USD, that the EC forced decimalisation on us, that immediately caused inflation of 29% and ever since then, every single problem in the UK can be legitimately traced back and blamed on Europe.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              A 71 year old who bases his opinion on Brexit on believing that just before we joined the EC, the exchange rate was 1GBP = 4USD, that the EC forced decimalisation on us, that immediately caused inflation of 29% and ever since then, every single problem in the UK can be legitimately traced back and blamed on Europe.
              TLTBDR
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                Get you, Eire is simply a concise way of saying Southern Ireland. I take it you think everyone's a cretin who has a different POV? Ireland, as in Southern Ireland have a choice and those first two are perfectly valid choices although unlikely as their rulers won't let them anywhere near the option of leaving the EU. They also don't want a unified Ireland as even the Catholics in the North see they're onto a good thing with the >£10bn per year subsidy they enjoy. Southern Ireland can't afford integration financially, politically and socially
                Southern Ireland ceased to exist in 1922.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Southern Ireland ceased to exist in 1922.
                  Still referred to as Southern Ireland in the seventies.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Still incorrectly referred to as Southern Ireland in the seventies.
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      FTFY
                      So still in common usage, even if incorrect.

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      I don't think Mick Jagger is a suitable comparator. He's in an 'industry' where people 'work' longer because, let's face it, it's not 'work' as we know it.
                      Apparently it involves 3 hours a day in the gym, so no, it's not work as we know it.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X