• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's going to be interesting in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Though I have to say EU politicians seem far better than UK ones......
    That was pretty clear from day one...
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Seems unlikely for at least two reasons. First, Farage has placed an impossibly high bar on this - WTO or nothing. Second, if Johnson were to agree a formal pact on that basis, you'd see a lot more Tories voting Lib Dem. I reckon the only way for Johnson to unite the leave vote is to actually leave and hold an election shortly thereafter, but that route doesn't seem open. Also, Labour saying tonight that they won't support an election until an extension is secured. That leaves Johnson in a very tricky spot...

My view is the government will lose tonight. They know this 100%. They have already said they will kick out anyone who voted against this 3-line-whip(hypocrisy as Boris did previously, but hey).

Election on the 14th Oct. Conservatives will blame everyone else for Brexit and will canvas on a no-deal Brexit. Boris and Nigel will do a deal and the Brexit party will only stand in labour constituencies who voted leave and tories won’t win anyway.

Biggest risk to tories is lib-dems and how their vote splits.

Anyway...above based on I can’t see what other option Tories have.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
        My view is the government will lose tonight. They know this 100%. They have already said they will kick out anyone who voted against this 3-line-whip(hypocrisy as Boris did previously, but hey).

Election on the 14th Oct. Conservatives will blame everyone else for Brexit and will canvas on a no-deal Brexit. Boris and Nigel will do a deal and the Brexit party will only stand in labour constituencies who voted leave and tories won’t win anyway.

Biggest risk to tories is lib-dems and how their vote splits.

Anyway...above based on I can’t see what other option Tories have.
        I think it's pretty clear they will lose tonight. There are 16 publicly declared rebels, last time I checked. As a declared "confidence" issue, there won't be many pro-Brexit Labour rebels (probably Kate Hoey and one or two others). I reckon a loss of around 11-15. Anyway, a loss.

What's less clear is how Johnson gets his 14 Oct election. He would need to offer some legal guarantee for Labour backbenchers to support this and I don't see a watertight one without an extension, which would kill the Tories electorally. Afterall, what happens with a hung parliament and no time or numbers to agree a coalition and secure an extension leading up to Oct 31? The rebels won't want to allow that possibility.

I reckon he's in a bit of a bind here, pending something not obvious. If he can't get an election and is forced to ask for an extension, he'll be hammered by the Brexit Party. If Labour can hold their nerve and refuse an election for now (), he could be in a pickle...

I guess the gov't could simply resign and let Parliament fail to form an alternative or succeed and have that gov't ask for the extension before calling the election. Might be in that sort of least worst option territory.

Comment

Well I see the Tories have now lost their majority...oh dear...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

....and then there were none.

Boris Johnson loses his majority

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Well I see the Tories have now lost their majority...oh dear...
              What I enjoyed most about that is how several prominent LGBT Lib Dems resigned as soon as it happened, what with Philip Lee's well known dodgy views. Better suited to Labour, perhaps.

Comment

Gove today during Parliament:

He says a no-deal Brexit would present difficulties, but he says people can prepare for them.
                He says the Operation Yellowhammer plan sets out a “reasonable worst-case scenario” for what might happen. It is not a prediction, he says.
                He says today the government is announcing an extra £20m of spending to ensure that traffic can flow freely in Kent in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Gove concludes by saying a no-deal Brexit would pose undoubted risks and real challenges for the UK. But he says there would also be opportunities.
                He hasn't said what those opportunities are and nor has the government released any plans for what they are. Are they 'pie in the sky' or just words tumbling out of his mouth with no real meaning behind them?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Gove today during Parliament:

He hasn't said what those opportunities are and nor has the government released any plans for what they are. Are they 'pie in the sky' or just words tumbling out of his mouth with no real meaning behind them?
                  Narrator: They were both.

Comment

They're still debating apart from this arrogant piece of tulip who has decided that a nap is in order.

The physical embodiment of arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for our parliament.

Comment

Sleepy Moggy alert!

Comment

Working...
                      X