• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's going to be interesting in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's going to be interesting in Parliament

I hope the Remainers fail in their bid to postpone the Brexit date/bring down the govt/or whatever they've got in mind.
    The country needs a hard Brexit with the opportunists who supported it still in charge.
    Then the entertainment will continue for those watching with interest from afar.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Agree. Exciting times for politicos.

They won't fail, at least on numbers. There's 16 confirmed and 22 possible. Best bet is probably filibustering in the Lords (still won't work) or perhaps something really unconventional like an emergency budget to waste time (I think the gov't can initiate that independently, but all SOs are ultimately within the control of Parliament, I suppose).

Anyway, I think it's understood inside No. 10 that they won't fail.

I can only conclude from the continuous ramping of rhetoric and deselection threats that they want an election. It will have to occur before 31 Oct though, otherwise Parliament won't agree. Tricky ground for Johnson under those circs, unless they commit to No Deal (and even if they do).

Very unpredictable.

Brilliant to watch though.

Comment

Current conspiracy doing the rounds is: dissolution motion for, say, 17 Oct ("Notwithstanding the FTPA,..."). Voted through on straight majority, no need for FTPA 2/3rds majority. Then, subsequently, the gov't uses prerogative powers to change the date to Oct 31. Now, that would be funny. Still, while Labour MPs are total cretins, they're not that stupid. Can't see any clever shenanigans working.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I can only conclude from the continuous ramping of rhetoric and deselection threats that they want an election.
        Yes that seem to be a distinct possibility.
        And I wouldn;t like to predict the outcome
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Yes that seem to be a distinct possibility.
          And I wouldn;t like to predict the outcome
          Right, forget about the polls.

An election never ends up working out exactly as planned. The Brexit Party vote is stickier than they will have hoped. I don't see a Farage climbdown.

Another hung parliament and minority Tory gov't, albeit with a few less Tory remainers?

Comment

Right, forget about the polls.

An election never ends up working out exactly as planned. The Brexit Party vote is stickier than they will have hoped. I don't see a Farage climbdown.

Another hung parliament and minority Tory gov't, albeit with a few less Tory remainers?
            I wouldn't underestimate the Lib Dem surge
            Agree it will be a hung Parliament though, albeit with a different, unpredictable, complexion to 2017.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I wouldn't underestimate the Lib Dem surge
              Bound to pick-up a good number of Tory and Labour remainers. Not sure they've reached that threshold where people think they can actually win though, which will hold them back. FPTP is brutal like that. I'd still expect the Lib Dems and Brexit Party to garner many fewer seats than the Tories or Labour, but who knows. Parliament could end-up looking distinctly more European w/ coalitions, ironically...

Imagine the market reaction to a coalition of Labour/SNP/independents.

Comment

Imagine the market reaction to a coalition of Labour/SNP/independents.
                That won't happen. The Brexit Party Ltd and its sole "person with responsibility" will take all 650 seats, pick up their guns and khakis and go defend the Irish border.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Gotta admit, this is the most exciting season of "Brexit" yet.

Comment

Interesting...

Boris Johnson to call for snap election BEFORE October 31 Brexit date if he loses to rebels this week

Sounds plausible, but could also be an attempt to influence proceedings tomorrow (i.e., rebels will know they have only a few days left as MPs; but most of them don't care and many have already announced that they're standing down).

Comment

Working...
                    X