• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So if Boris can't get a GE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    Likely true, but there is always the sliver of hope and as long there is even a slight chance fro a better deal it can be exploited politically.
    With the exception of removing the backstop, which is never going to happen, what would a 'better' deal look like. Brexit Tories keep talking about a 'better' deal but they have universally failed to explain what this would look like.

So come on our leave voting friends, what would a deal that is better than may's actually look like (again, accepting that the backstop is not going to be removed). Or are these just words again and no one has an idea what 'better' looks like?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      With the exception of removing the backstop, which is never going to happen, what would a 'better' deal look like. Brexit Tories keep talking about a 'better' deal but they have universally failed to explain what this would look like.

So come on our leave voting friends, what would a deal that is better than may's actually look like (again, accepting that the backstop is not going to be removed). Or are these just words again and no one has an idea what 'better' looks like?
      Many of them probably just want no-deal.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Many of them probably just want no-deal.
        Which is fine, but then instead of lying why not just say that they want no deal. They go on about a 'better' deal, but offer nothing to what this might look like. No deal is a viable option; they can fight a GE on this if they really believe this (apart from they know they won't get the votes as there is not a majority in the public who support this view).
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Which is fine, but then instead of lying why not just say that they want no deal. They go on about a 'better' deal, but offer nothing to what this might look like. No deal is a viable option; they can fight a GE on this if they really believe this (apart from they know they won't get the votes as there is not a majority in the public who support this view).
          There is surely a minimum "deal" that the EU and the UK must agree. e.g. the UK's commitment to honour and finance any existing arrangements like pensions etc. and the rights of citizens to continue to live in the various countries. What seems to be happening is that both sides have been trying to set out arrangements for the future. Surely that should be a subject for future negotiations. As far as the border sticking point is concerned, what is stopping the UK saying, we will not change anything. You can continue as you do now. Is it the EU that wouldn't like that situation? There didn't appear to be any issues when both the ROI and the UK were not members of the EU. So, would the arrangements that were in place then fit the bill now? Our ROI neighbours have always enjoyed a special relationship with the UK, even to the point that some have dual nationality.
          Last edited by JohntheBike; 5 September 2019, 08:03.

Comment

I’m surprised some halfwit hasn’t suggested that there would be no border in Ireland and everything should be kept as is. Then they’d blame the EU.

Of course, keeping everything as is means keeping freedom of movement.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I’m surprised some halfwit hasn’t suggested that there would be no border in Ireland and everything should be kept as is. Then they’d blame the EU.

there has always been freedom of movement between the ROI and the UK and also free access to our benefits system and our NHS.

Comment

Freedom of movement for Irish and UK Citizens on the island of Ireland is guaranteed.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  there has always been freedom of movement between the ROI and the UK and also free access to our benefits system and our NHS.
                  No there hasn’t

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Freedom of movement for Irish and UK Citizens on the island of Ireland is guaranteed.
                    Where is it guaranteed?

Comment

Where is it guaranteed?
                      I'm sure you're familiar with the "Common Travel Area".

Established in 1922, then reaffirmed 8 May 2019 by the signing of this...
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X