Proroguing Parliament declared illegal Proroguing Parliament declared illegal - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 91 to 96 of 96

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    We all know why it was prorogued, and what the Queen was told was the reason - and I suspect that als includes the Queen herself. I still don't accept that it is the duty of the courts to rule on political decisions made by Parliament. ISTR there is actually some old statute out there that explicitly prevents that happening, although that may not apply in Scotland of course.

Even so, Scotland is a bit like the DUP - it's the "British" government when they disagree with it, but it's their governement when they need it, neatly ignoring the detail that they are all still part of Britain (or, before the pedants jump in, The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    It's ironic that many talk of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when Scotland and NI had different laws even before the devolved governments were created. Wales became part of England for legal purposes in the reign of Henry VIII, but Scotland and Ireland hadn't joined the Union by then and were allowed a certain level of autonomy as part of joining the Union.

Ducklike

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    If Brexit is going to be so good for the country, why can’t the Brexiters sell it on its merits?
    I believe they did, and won the argument, in 2016.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    It's ironic that many talk of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when Scotland and NI had different laws even before the devolved governments were created. Wales became part of England for legal purposes in the reign of Henry VIII, but Scotland and Ireland hadn't joined the Union by then and were allowed a certain level of autonomy as part of joining the Union.
    Really? How inneresting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    I believe they did, and won the argument, in 2016.
    That would be the argument put forward by the official Leave campaign?

Tell me, how is that looking compared to the reality of the current situation?

Godlike

Live in UK or by proxy server or direct on Supreme Court Website

Supreme Court challenge over PM's Parliament suspension - BBC News

I must add, that as with other cases, the judges would have read all the documents prior to the Hearing. The Hearing is just the last formality for the judges' decision. Most Judges would already have the verdict in the back of their minds.
    It’s now emerged that the prime minister has not made a witness statement explaining why he advised the Queen to prorogue Parliament for five weeks.

Such a witness statement to court - had it emerged - would have been subject to the standard rules of being truthful - Lord Pannick notes that telling porkies in witness statements is an offence.
    Last edited by Paddy; 17th September 2019 at 10:13.
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    You mean the Prime Minister? (Parliament didn't prorogue itself.)

So, you think a Prime Minister should be able to prorogue Parliament for any reason, and duration, he/she deems appropriate?
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018