Proroguing Parliament declared illegal Proroguing Parliament declared illegal - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 41 to 50 of 96
  1. #41

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Yes, because she is a constitutional Monarch with purely ceremonial duties. The process is a formality. Three ministers attend the Privy Council, tell HM that the prime minister would like her to issue an order in council to prorogue parliament and she then does so. There is no discussion or debate. If Boris made the request on the pretext of the lawful reason of wanting to reset the legislative program and introduce a new one via a Queens speech, when in fact used he used it as a means to prevent parliament scrutinising his actions then that is the bit that is unlawful, which is what the three Scottish Law Lords unanimously agreed upon.

    OK, but she still has the right to refuse and given that she is a very wise, astute and well informed individual, and also given her recent well publicised concerns about Brexit, I would say that she would not have agreed if she thought it were not in the best interests of the country. However, we will have to wait and see what the Supreme Court judges.

  2. #42

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    OK, but she still has the right to refuse and given that she is a very wise, astute and well informed individual, and also given her recent well publicised concerns about Brexit, I would say that she would not have agreed if she thought it were not in the best interests of the country. However, we will have to wait and see what the Supreme Court judges.
    If she is so wise, astute and well informed you think she would have done something about one of her sons some time ago...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  3. #43

    Still gathering requirements...

    MasterBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Путін Хуйло
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    OK, but she still has the right to refuse .
    She has not and if she would she would be sacked

  4. #44

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Whatever the Supreme Court decides will set a legal precedent.

    If they decide that proroguing is not a matter for the courts, then what's to stop any PM suspending Parliament for any length of time they like?

    Those who think that, in this particular instance, it's fine might not be so content if a future Labour PM did this.

    This is how tyranny starts.

  5. #45

    Super poster

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    If she is so wise, astute and well informed you think she would have done something about one of her sons some time ago...
    Which one?

    One's a flake, at least 2 are closet homosexuals and one of them married that fergie-burger woman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

  6. #46

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    OK, but she still has the right to refuse and given that she is a very wise, astute and well informed individual, and also given her recent well publicised concerns about Brexit, I would say that she would not have agreed if she thought it were not in the best interests of the country. However, we will have to wait and see what the Supreme Court judges.
    No she doesn't. Her function is purely ceremonial and she is completely neutral in terms of politics in these matters.

    The role of the Monarchy | The Royal Family

    In a monarchy, a king or queen is Head of State. The British Monarchy is known as a constitutional monarchy. This means that, while The Sovereign is Head of State, the ability to make and pass legislation resides with an elected Parliament.

    Although The Sovereign no longer has a political or executive role, he or she continues to play an important part in the life of the nation.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  7. #47

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    No she doesn't. Her function is purely ceremonial and she is completely neutral in terms of politics in these matters.

    The role of the Monarchy | The Royal Family
    she is completely neutral in terms of politics
    well, we are lead to believe that she will not invite our friend Jeremy for an audience.

  8. #48

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Whatever the Supreme Court decides will set a legal precedent.

    If they decide that proroguing is not a matter for the courts, then what's to stop any PM suspending Parliament for any length of time they like?

    Those who think that, in this particular instance, it's fine might not be so content if a future Labour PM did this.

    This is how tyranny starts.
    Indeed - and it normally starts with imprisoning those who disagree with your politics.

    The Remainer tyranny - spiked

  9. #49

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed - and it normally starts with imprisoning those who disagree with your politics.

    The Remainer tyranny - spiked
    Ah, so you read Spiked, now we know where you're coming from although I didn't know that you also have Marxist tendencies
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  10. #50

    Godlike

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    7,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Admin we know its you. Try to be more imaginative with your sockies FFS.
    and, - enter the uberfeckwit.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •