• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proroguing Parliament declared illegal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    We all know why it was prorogued, and what the Queen was told was the reason - and I suspect that als includes the Queen herself. I still don't accept that it is the duty of the courts to rule on political decisions made by Parliament. ISTR there is actually some old statute out there that explicitly prevents that happening, although that may not apply in Scotland of course.

Even so, Scotland is a bit like the DUP - it's the "British" government when they disagree with it, but it's their governement when they need it, neatly ignoring the detail that they are all still part of Britain (or, before the pedants jump in, The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    It's ironic that many talk of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when Scotland and NI had different laws even before the devolved governments were created. Wales became part of England for legal purposes in the reign of Henry VIII, but Scotland and Ireland hadn't joined the Union by then and were allowed a certain level of autonomy as part of joining the Union.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      If Brexit is going to be so good for the country, why can’t the Brexiters sell it on its merits?
      I believe they did, and won the argument, in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        It's ironic that many talk of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when Scotland and NI had different laws even before the devolved governments were created. Wales became part of England for legal purposes in the reign of Henry VIII, but Scotland and Ireland hadn't joined the Union by then and were allowed a certain level of autonomy as part of joining the Union.
        Really? How inneresting.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I believe they did, and won the argument, in 2016.
          That would be the argument put forward by the official Leave campaign?

Tell me, how is that looking compared to the reality of the current situation?

Comment

Live in UK or by proxy server or direct on Supreme Court Website

Supreme Court challenge over PM's Parliament suspension - BBC News

I must add, that as with other cases, the judges would have read all the documents prior to the Hearing. The Hearing is just the last formality for the judges' decision. Most Judges would already have the verdict in the back of their minds.
            It’s now emerged that the prime minister has not made a witness statement explaining why he advised the Queen to prorogue Parliament for five weeks.

Such a witness statement to court - had it emerged - would have been subject to the standard rules of being truthful - Lord Pannick notes that telling porkies in witness statements is an offence.
            Last edited by Paddy; 17 September 2019, 10:13.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              You mean the Prime Minister? (Parliament didn't prorogue itself.)

So, you think a Prime Minister should be able to prorogue Parliament for any reason, and duration, he/she deems appropriate?
              Exactly.

Comment

Working...
              X