No-deal import logistics? No-deal import logistics?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    33,292

    Default No-deal import logistics?

    We are buying something from a UK distributor of a Dutch company's product. We already placed an order with delivery scheduled in November, with construction happening in the Netherlands before shipping to the UK (by boat we assume).

    We were trying to figure out how this might be impacted by a no-deal exit on Oct-31. Of course apart from anything else there might be delays due to traffic jams but aside from that, would there be any legal ramifications? For instance would duty be due that isn't currently?

    While this is a real-life example, I thought it was also interesting to discuss how things generally might work on November 1st in the event of no deal, in terms of facts not tabloid sensationalism. I wondered if orders already placed before the exit date are treated differently from new orders afterwards, etc. Under EU law there are rules on what can/cannot cross a border but with those gone, do we know how that changes? If you were buying something somewhat restricted from within the EU, such as livestock, could you find that what you have paid for is now illegal to import?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    56,669

    Default

    Get EORI number ASAP

    Have at least a month of supply at the Brexit date

    Buy British!

  3. #3

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    19,198

    Default

    Drop these people a mail, they should be able answer every little question you have: Department for Exiting the European Union - GOV.UK
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  4. #4

    Better than AtW


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Drop these people a mail, they should be able answer every little question you have: Department for Exiting the European Union - GOV.UK
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  5. #5

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default

    By November you will have starved to death in a no deal scenario, so don't worry about your delivery.

    HTH BIDI

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    10,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    By November you will have starved to death in a no deal scenario, so don't worry about your delivery.

    HTH BIDI
    Nobody will starve within one hour, unless they're American...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    56,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    By November you will have starved to death in a no deal scenario, so don't worry about your delivery.

    HTH BIDI
    That’s the spirit!

    It will become known as the Brexit Spirit (BS)

  8. #8

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    We are buying something from a UK distributor of a Dutch company's product. We already placed an order with delivery scheduled in November, with construction happening in the Netherlands before shipping to the UK (by boat we assume).

    We were trying to figure out how this might be impacted by a no-deal exit on Oct-31. Of course apart from anything else there might be delays due to traffic jams but aside from that, would there be any legal ramifications? For instance would duty be due that isn't currently?

    While this is a real-life example, I thought it was also interesting to discuss how things generally might work on November 1st in the event of no deal, in terms of facts not tabloid sensationalism. I wondered if orders already placed before the exit date are treated differently from new orders afterwards, etc. Under EU law there are rules on what can/cannot cross a border but with those gone, do we know how that changes? If you were buying something somewhat restricted from within the EU, such as livestock, could you find that what you have paid for is now illegal to import?
    Official advice from the Government: leaving with No Deal is a million to one chance.

    Also official advice from the Government: we will leave with No Deal if we have to, and we will resist any attempt by Parliament to limit that.

    Also advice from the Government: we’re not going to tell you what contingencies need to be made for No Deal in case we spook you.

    Also advice from the Government: businesses should prepare for the event of No Deal.

    If this doesn’t sound helpful, it’s because it’s not but the Government want you to know that if it all goes wrong for your business it is all your own fault.

    You’re not the only one in this situation. Freight is being loaded right now that won’t reach its destination until after 31 October. FTAs might roll over, they might not. Freight might be stuck at the docks waiting for new paperwork and tariff charges to be paid, it might not.

    This probably doesn’t help you, but this is why businesses are stockpiling, to avoid any possible disruption. The main concerns tend to be for exporters, not importers, simply because we don’t know how third parties that we don’t have any control over will treat U.K. goods.

    For your last question, our laws on what you can and can’t import aren’t going to change overnight. At worst there might be tariffs due, at best the Government might decide to waive inbound paperwork and customs checks for a transition period so you might see little change.

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    We are buying something from a UK distributor of a Dutch company's product. We already placed an order with delivery scheduled in November, with construction happening in the Netherlands before shipping to the UK (by boat we assume).

    We were trying to figure out how this might be impacted by a no-deal exit on Oct-31. Of course apart from anything else there might be delays due to traffic jams but aside from that, would there be any legal ramifications? For instance would duty be due that isn't currently?

    While this is a real-life example, I thought it was also interesting to discuss how things generally might work on November 1st in the event of no deal, in terms of facts not tabloid sensationalism. I wondered if orders already placed before the exit date are treated differently from new orders afterwards, etc. Under EU law there are rules on what can/cannot cross a border but with those gone, do we know how that changes? If you were buying something somewhat restricted from within the EU, such as livestock, could you find that what you have paid for is now illegal to import?
    It's a bit late to start thinking about this now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    We are buying something from a UK distributor of a Dutch company's product. We already placed an order with delivery scheduled in November, with construction happening in the Netherlands before shipping to the UK (by boat we assume).

    We were trying to figure out how this might be impacted by a no-deal exit on Oct-31. Of course apart from anything else there might be delays due to traffic jams but aside from that, would there be any legal ramifications? For instance would duty be due that isn't currently?

    While this is a real-life example, I thought it was also interesting to discuss how things generally might work on November 1st in the event of no deal, in terms of facts not tabloid sensationalism. I wondered if orders already placed before the exit date are treated differently from new orders afterwards, etc. Under EU law there are rules on what can/cannot cross a border but with those gone, do we know how that changes? If you were buying something somewhat restricted from within the EU, such as livestock, could you find that what you have paid for is now illegal to import?
    No problem; bribe one of the UN aid trucks on the way to the UK.

    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •