Snowflake Snowflake - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Snowflake

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    And they think that shouting down the UK PM is going to help their cause?

No other government would have allowed a protest mob so close to such an event, so whatever you choose to call it, it was certainly intentional.
    I have to agree here. This is international relations not domestic politics. Politicians need to engage with the local population so having the mobs present is appropriate so long as it doesn't turn ugly.
    Not the same for diplomacy. You can't just parade your visiting head of state in front of your angry crowd and mock them publicly if they refuse to. Luxembourg shouldn't be behaving like that given its small size and status in the world, they will be judged and looked down on in future. Other EU leaders have already given the guy a tap on the shoulder.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Not the same for diplomacy.
    It was a public press conference. Not the same as “diplomacy”.

You can't just parade your visiting head of state in front of your angry crowd and mock them publicly if they refuse to.
    It was the UK’s angry crowd. They were Brits.

Luxembourg shouldn't be behaving like that given its small size and status in the world, they will be judged and looked down on in future.
    Status? They probably don’t really care, they’re one of the wealthiest per capita in the world.

Size? As one of the 27, they have a veto on any future trade deal with the U.K.. Their vote counts for as much as any other.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post

Status? They probably don’t really care, they’re one of the wealthiest per capita in the world.

Size? As one of the 27, they have a veto on any future trade deal with the U.K.. Their vote counts for as much as any other.
    I wasn't commenting on Brexit here, just in general. Would the UK do that to the US, or China?

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I wasn't commenting on Brexit here, just in general. Would the UK do that to the US, or China?
    The British people? Absolutely yes, perhaps you missed the protests against Trump and Xi Jinping.

Would the US or China administrations, knowing that there was sensitivity in their visits, schedule an open outdoor press conference in the U.K.? Probably not.

In general that’s probably a good thing from the U.K. perspective, that the PM can still schedule open press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    And they think that shouting down the UK PM is going to help their cause?

No other government would have allowed a protest mob so close to such an event, so whatever you choose to call it, it was certainly intentional.
    Well they weren't allowed to vote in the referendum, so needed a way for their voice to be heard...

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Well they weren't allowed to vote in the referendum, so needed a way for their voice to be heard...
    Plenty of expats voted in the referendum.

Though, IMO, they should not have been allowed to vote.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post

most uk citizens that hadn't left the UK for 15 years could.

Who can vote in the EU referendum? - Full Fact

British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years can’t vote either. This was unsuccesssfully challenged in the courts.
    Their complaint is that they are uncertain of their future in their new adopted country and blame the UK for this change. One would think that they should discuss it with what protesters who were interviewed described as their prime minister (the Prime minister of Luxembourg). The UK government is not going to throw them out.

Its like your parents converting to Islam and the hotel you are living in throwing you out because your parents are Muslims!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post

Luxembourg has a slightly bigger population than Sheffield. Proportional Representation suits you some of the time, but not all of the time...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Plenty of expats voted in the referendum.

Though, IMO, they should not have been allowed to vote.
    What - even those who are only planning to be away a year or two, and then return? Plenty of countries allow their overseas citizens to vote indefinitely. I tend to think this should be the case, but I don't think the 15 year limit for Britains abroad is particularly unfair.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...