• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would it be OK if we didn't have a trade deal with the EU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU MFN sounds like it will cost us a bit.

unctad.org | The trade cost of a no-deal Brexit to the United Kingdom

"As of 2018, UK merchandise exports were valued at approximately USD $450 billion. The EU is the UK’s most significant trading partner and accounts for approximately half of UK’s merchandise exports. Our calculations indicate that a loss of preferences in the EU market consequent to a no-deal Brexit will result in UK export losses of at least USD$16 billion (representing a loss of approximately 7 percent of overall UK exports to the EU). This is a conservative estimate that only takes into account the increase in tariffs from zero to current EU MFN levels. In reality, the losses would be much greater because of non-tariff measures, border controls and disruption of existing UK-EU production networks."
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      EU MFN sounds like it will cost us a bit.

unctad.org | The trade cost of a no-deal Brexit to the United Kingdom

"As of 2018, UK merchandise exports were valued at approximately USD $450 billion. The EU is the UK’s most significant trading partner and accounts for approximately half of UK’s merchandise exports. Our calculations indicate that a loss of preferences in the EU market consequent to a no-deal Brexit will result in UK export losses of at least USD$16 billion (representing a loss of approximately 7 percent of overall UK exports to the EU). This is a conservative estimate that only takes into account the increase in tariffs from zero to current EU MFN levels. In reality, the losses would be much greater because of non-tariff measures, border controls and disruption of existing UK-EU production networks."
      that's as may be, but many people voted to leave based on their opinions on other issues, e.g. immigration and perhaps felt that the economic cost, even if they knew it, was worthwhile. Very very few people would have had a clear understanding of how leaving would affect the country financially. But many surely had a good idea as to how the country had been affected with uncontrolled immigration.

If perhaps we had been "all in" the EU and the average man in the street could have seen the benefits to themselves as individuals, then perhaps the vote might have been different. The UK are nett contributors to the EU, but some of the benefits enjoyed by the EU populace seem to have been denied to us. Perhaps many succumbed to this propaganda, which on reading the explanation, might not be that untrue -

Do pensioners in the rest of the EU get more cash than the elderly in the UK? - Full Fact

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        How’s the weather in 1956, John?
        FTFY
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          FTFY
          a bit colder than now, and the scientists were warning of the onset of another ice age. Funny how opinions change in a lifetime isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            that's as may be, but many people voted to leave based on their opinions on other issues, e.g. immigration and perhaps felt that the economic cost, even if they knew it, was worthwhile. Very very few people would have had a clear understanding of how leaving would affect the country financially. But many surely had a good idea as to how the country had been affected with uncontrolled immigration.

If perhaps we had been "all in" the EU and the average man in the street could have seen the benefits to themselves as individuals, then perhaps the vote might have been different. The UK are nett contributors to the EU, but some of the benefits enjoyed by the EU populace seem to have been denied to us. Perhaps many succumbed to this propaganda, which on reading the explanation, might not be that untrue -

Do pensioners in the rest of the EU get more cash than the elderly in the UK? - Full Fact
            The only way to control immigration is to make the UK less desirable place to live and work. Looks like we are well on track to achieve this...

Any legal barriers will just force the immigrants that would have been here legally do do so illegally. Visa requirements will have minimal impact on the quantity of people coming in, it will have a severe impact on the quality. What the dumbos in the Government and the average Brexiteer doesn't get is that the so called "highly skilled" migrants that are "desirable" have the pick of the litter an will not subject themselves and their families to the uncertainty of a visa system if they can go work in any other of the EU27 countries with no barriers. Meanwhile the "undesirables" don't care about visa systems and will work illegally at the drop of a hat.

What exact EU citizen benefits are denied to UK citizens? State pensions have nothing to do with the EU so the link you provided is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              The only way to control immigration is to make the UK less desirable place to live and work. Looks like we are well on track to achieve this...

Any legal barriers will just force the immigrants that would have been here legally do do so illegally. Visa requirements will have minimal impact on the quantity of people coming in, it will have a severe impact on the quality. What the dumbos in the Government and the average Brexiteer doesn't get is that the so called "highly skilled" migrants that are "desirable" have the pick of the litter an will not subject themselves and their families to the uncertainty of a visa system if they can go work in any other of the EU27 countries with no barriers. Meanwhile the "undesirables" don't care about visa systems and will work illegally at the drop of a hat.

What exact EU citizen benefits are denied to UK citizens? State pensions have nothing to do with the EU so the link you provided is meaningless.
              I wasn't talking about facts, only perceptions. This is what no one seems to want to understand. How many times have I posted this about speed cameras -

It doesn't matter what the reality of speed cameras is, or what the police say the reality is, the public's perception of the reality is that they are revenue generating devices.

Comment

many surely had a good idea as to how the country had been affected with uncontrolled immigration
                Perhaps those people who thought Brexit would reduce immigration should have a peek at the Government's proposals for our immigration system, post-Brexit: The UK's future skills-based immigration system - GOV.UK

Comment

I wasn't talking about facts, only perceptions. This is what no one seems to want to understand. How many times have I posted this about speed cameras -

It doesn't matter what the reality of speed cameras is, or what the police say the reality is, the public's perception of the reality is that they are revenue generating devices.
                  Only if you speed. Had y licence over 30 years and never once paid a speeding fine. So they're only revenue generators for idiots who speed

Next.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                    Perhaps those people who thought Brexit would reduce immigration should have a peek at the Government's proposals for our immigration system, post-Brexit: The UK's future skills-based immigration system - GOV.UK
                    Indeed looks like a free-for-all:

-a skilled workers route open to all nationalities
                    -lowering of the skills threshold on the skilled workers route to include medium-skilled workers
                    -no cap on numbers on the skilled workers route, meaning that business will be able to hire any suitable qualified migrant

-the abolition of the resident labour market test
                    -a new time limited route for temporary short-term workers of all skill levels, including seasonal low-skilled workers
                    -an extension to the post-study period for international students

It's as if the government knows the native population has bred so many cretins that this is the only way forward
                    Perhaps they've been reading CUK
                    Last edited by sasguru; 19 September 2019, 07:29.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Only if you speed. Had y licence over 30 years and never once paid a speeding fine. So they're only revenue generators for idiots who speed

Next.
                      I've had my licence for over 50 years and never had any speeding fine and I've ridden a motorbike for all that time as well. However, there are local and some wider issues which I believe support my opinion.

If you travel the A465 at night between Hirwaun and Merthyr (I guess you won't) you could hardly notice the dangerous absence of cats eyes. However, monies were found to install an average speed camera system on this very stretch of road, it's all about safety you see. However, installing cat's eyes for safety doesn't generate revenue, installing an average speed camera system for safety does.

You might also wish to research the saga of the speed cameras on the M4 around Port Talbot. Interestingly enough, since the installation of the average speed cameras, the lighting along this stretch, which was installed at the outset of the opening of this section, has now been removed. Lighting for safety, doesn't generate revenue, whereas average speed cameras for safety do.

Comment

Working...
                      X