• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would it be OK if we didn't have a trade deal with the EU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppose we leave without a deal.

The EU will insist on much of what's in the current WA as a precondition for any future trade agreement.

If we can't stomach that then we'll have to do without a trade deal altogether. Presumably that would mean WTO terms?

Or have I missed something?
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

The EU will insist on much of what's in the current WA as a precondition for any future trade agreement.

If we can't stomach that then we'll have to do without a trade deal altogether. Presumably that would mean WTO terms?

About 3 years of Brexit posts by the look of things.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      About 3 years of Brexit posts by the look of things.
      So, not much then.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

So, not much then.
        What Ziggy means is, he doesn't know. he'll have to go and check out the daily Fail or some alt-right facebook page to see what they think
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Back to the good ole day when Britain marches over to Iran and claims 50% of discovered oil and names the company BP. We're friend everywhere queuing up you know.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Crikey.

Sort of. Without the transition period negotiated in the WA, we drop to 3rd country status immediately.

We also drop to 3rd country status with any country that we currently have any FTA or bilaterals with as part of the EU unless we’ve agreed any rollover in whole or in part with each country.

There’s no such thing as “WTO terms”. We would be subject to tariffs based on MFN with each of those countries, and we would be subject to any 3rd party non-tariff barriers with each of those countries (eg SPS, inspections, regulatory restrictions, etc).

And regardless of any trade negotiations, the U.K. will find itself under pressure from the EU and others to finalise much of what’s in the WA anyway (eg EU and the financial settlement and citizens rights, US and China and the Irish border, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              What Ziggy means is, he doesn't know. he'll have to go and check out the daily Fail or some alt-right facebook page to see what they think
              That's what I like about you remainers, you're absolutely ****ed!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

A few rounds on the “plastic educator” it would seem

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  That's what I like about you remainers, you're absolutely ****ed!
                  By a white English girl only

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You are a twit of the first order. The UK cannot just fall back on WTO rules, it will take years. Please read the WTO website.
                    World Trade Organization - Home page - Global trade
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X