• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prorogation - Supreme Court Verdict: Legal or Illegal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Agree
    This could run for a while then....

Dominic Casciani on Twitter: "IMPORTANT: Government's submission to the Supreme Court tells judges that if they rule against Mr Johnson and quash prorogation of Parliament - he might just go and do it again:… https://t.co/xtyG17xkra"
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

... legislation is the yardstick by which to judge illegality...
      Not just legislation. Each side presents to the judges their arguments, by citing previous judgements and legislation. The judges then decide who is right.

I think the SC should refer to it CUK. We could have a poll to decide.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Not just legislation. Each side presents to the judges their arguments, by citing previous judgements and legislation. The judges then decide who is right.

But it is the most coherent yardstick. The alternative is that the courts impinge on what Parliament can properly and demonstrably do, which is to legislate to the same effect, against which the SC could then arbitrate w/r to executive behavior. That is the whole point about Parliamentary sovereignty and the relationship between the executive, legislature and judiciary. Parliament can legislate to prevent prorogation. That they didn't (e.g., as part of the Benn Act) is curious. They did it for the NI Act; at least to restrict its effect. The point is that the SC would be ruling as improper something that Parliament could've expressly legislated as being improper. How does that leave the separation of responsibilities?

The conventional view, as I understand it, is the one offered by the HC, namely that it is not justiciable. However, I don't expect that result. It's also worth noting that the verdict of the Court of Session would need to be ruled as wrong in its own terms, because each court verdict is judged by the SC in its own terms, i.e. against Scottish law in that case - this is another reason I expect the conventional view to be overturned.

Comment

Yes, thank you for pointing out the blindingly obvious.
          It's not blindingly obvious to some on here.....
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Which the mods will then rig.

Comment

So it could drag on and then BoJo progues again for the more usual week/two weeks to takes us to the 14th still
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

because legislation is the yardstick by which to judge illegality
                I think that is only part of the matter, precedent has been used as well as legislation
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  So it could drag on and then BoJo progues again for the more usual week/two weeks to takes us to the 14th still
                  Of course, BoJo might actually try some politics and work with everyone.

Doh! I am being thick again. Carry on.

Comment

But it is the most coherent yardstick.
                    Maybe. But not how British justice works.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Which the mods will then rig.
                    We're split 50/50, so the casting vote would go to Admin.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Maybe. But not how British justice works.

We're split 50/50, so the casting vote would go to Admin.
                      How many mods are there currently?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X