• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Bexit casualty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Oh and in hind sight was that a good decision?
    That question would have some kind of validity if Brexit had actually happened then.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Threads merged, typo in the title corrected.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        That question would have some kind of validity if Brexit had actually happened then.
        Well that's the point. We just did not know what was going to happen. Mrs scooter was very stressed. The kids are settled in school, what if we couldn't return easily and they started to miss school etc. A million questions / problems just spiralled out of no where so we voted to stay put.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          150,000 people are on holiday with them right now apparently, so yes they do.
          There are actually a lot more than that as Thomas Cook has a number of subsidiaries in other countries. For example, there are around 140,000 Germans currently on holiday booked via various companies owned by them. Then there is the knock-on effect of hoteliers, tour operators, etc still waiting for payment from Thomas Cook. This might end up even worse than thought...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Family scooter cancelled our travel plans to the UK to visit family in March as we were uncertain about border restrictions on our return to Germany.

We were not alone.
            So there is a "brexit dividend" after all...

Being slightly more serious for a moment, TC were hit quite badly by terrorist incidents in Tunisia, Turkey and Egypt in recent years. Their airline was profitable, apparently, and very well regarded. Someone else (Easyjet?) will likely buy it (cheaply) and take on their business.
            Their biggest drain was probably the high st. shops. which I only ever used for currency exchange, until the local M&S started doing it (about 20 yrs ago). I don't know anyone who's ever booked a TC holiday in one of their shops. Plus they were laden with debt from some ill-judged takeovers, and not brilliantly run, by most accounts.
            Brexit might be a "convenient excuse" for some, but it's far from the root cause of TCs collapse.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'm sure that a ~30% drop in the pound value against the euro (and other currencies), and therefore holidays abroad getting ~30% more expensive had anything to do with the drop on numbers of holidays from the UK...

So yeah, absolutely no relation at all with Brexit!
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Brexit might be a "convenient excuse" for some, but it's far from the root cause of TCs collapse.
                The straw the broke the camel's back? Like so many businesses up and down the country.

Quiters are keen to blame the boarded up shop windows on the high st, the poverty stricken conditions and lack of investment on the EU. Just imagine if all the money the Tory party spent on destroying itself was indeed spent on the economy / infrastructure investment.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm flying out on Brexit weekend, however it will not be to a European Country. The collapse in the £ price is directly caused by Brexit, ergo holidays have become more expensive and people have delayed booking or will not book at all. I looked at flying to the Canaries February half term but flights are 30% more than last year (jet fuel and European operating cost increases due to rubbish £ rate) and 30% increase in B&B costs.

I hope the irony is not lost on the 52% of those flying back or being rescued due to Thomas Cook's Brexit manufactured failure that are not ATOL protected, are being repatriated and refunded due to e.u law.

Booking with European travel businesses who do not offer ATOL protection | UK Civil Aviation Authority
                  Last edited by BlueSharp; 23 September 2019, 09:55.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    I'm flying out on Brexit weekend, however it will not be to a European Country. The collapse in the £ price is directly caused by Brexit, ergo holidays have become more expensive and people have delayed booking or will not book at all. I looked at flying to the Canaries February half term but flights are 30% more than last year (jet fuel and European operating cost increases due to rubbish £ rate) and 30% increase in B&B costs.

I hope the irony is not lost on the 52% of those flying back or being rescued due to Thomas Cook's Brexit manufactured failure that are not ATOL protected, are being repatriated and refunded due to e.u law.

Booking with European travel businesses who do not offer ATOL protection | UK Civil Aviation Authority
                    The collapse in the pound is caused by the uncertainty of brexit which has not been helped by our own politicians.

Once the deal is done the pound will strengthen - maybe not back to where it was but then it has been commented that the pound was actually artificially high anyway

Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                      I'm sure that a ~30% drop in the pound value against the euro (and other currencies), and therefore holidays abroad getting ~30% more expensive had anything to do with the drop on numbers of holidays from the UK...

So yeah, absolutely no relation at all with Brexit!
                      So why haven't all the UK travel companies and airlines gone tits up then?
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X