• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All quiet for a couple of days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All quiet for a couple of days

A whole weekend without Brexit headlines, how nice.

So let's suppose Boris DOES pull a deal out of the hat that both he and the EU are happy with. Does anyone seriously think it would get accepted now the government effectively has a majority of about -20?
    Would Labour allow MPs to vote freely, or would the whip force them to vote against regardless?

And then if a deal is voted down by parliament, does Boris still have to request an extension? i.e. parliament has voted to prevent no deal under any circumstances, but if they vote against a deal how do we ever get out of this?

Answers on a postcard - how do people actually see this panning out? How long until we definitely get it resolved either way do you think?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So let's suppose Boris DOES pull a deal out of the hat that both he and the EU are happy with. Does anyone seriously think it would get accepted now the government effectively has a majority of about -20?
    Would Labour allow MPs to vote freely, or would the whip force them to vote against regardless?

And then if a deal is voted down by parliament, does Boris still have to request an extension? i.e. parliament has voted to prevent no deal under any circumstances, but if they vote against a deal how do we ever get out of this?

Answers on a postcard - how do people actually see this panning out? How long until we definitely get it resolved either way do you think?
    Government puts deal before parliament. Deal gets amended by parliament so that it's subject to a referendum. EU accepts that.

Or something else.

Comment

The ERG have already stated that there’s no deal that they would be happy with.

Forget Parliament for a moment, what do you think would be in any Withdrawal Agreement that would get past the Tory party?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

A deal (May's slightly polished turd) will be presented for a vote in parliament with a few days to the deadline.
        If MPs reject it again, Boris is in the clear - he'll blame MPs for no-deal chaos. If it's passed he's the hero of the hour.
        Thicko Brexiters will celebrate their "victory" even as they get poorer and their choices and services decline.

Win-win for Boris.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

What do you mean no news?
          Thomas Cook just went bust thanks (partly) to Brexit
          Labour party disintegrating over Brexit
          etc

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            What do you mean no news?
            Thomas Cook just went bust thanks (partly) to Brexit
            Labour party disintegrating over Brexit
            etc
            TC were struggling before Brexit...

Labour party are tearing themselves apart fromm the inside out - regardless of Brexit.

So I suppose you can spin lot's of stories to include brexit in them but whether there is any real correlation between brexit and the story is another question.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              The ERG have already stated that there’s no deal that they would be happy with.

Forget Parliament for a moment, what do you think would be in any Withdrawal Agreement that would get past the Tory party?
              This

70 or so Tory ERGs want no deal.

The majority of Tories do NOT want no deal.

Labour and SNP will vote against anything Boris puts forward.

Boris has no way to get a majority on anything. His only option is a GE, but then he risks losing too many votes to the Brexit Party.

Only 2 outcomes will solve this mess ....

A GE with Tory/Brexit Party/DUP majority that is prepared to vote for no deal (for that they will need a clear out of a lot of current MPs)

or/

A GE with a Lib Dem majority that revokes A50

More likely that outcome is continued chaos
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Labour party are tearing themselves apart fromm the inside out - regardless of Brexit.

So I suppose you can spin lot's of stories to include brexit in them but whether there is any real correlation between brexit and the story is another question.
                So the pound taking a beating hasn't impacted TC's cost base? Hasn't Brexit impacted people's income/wealth making them less willing to take foreign holidays? Or is all this just a coincidence?
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I suppose you can spin lots of stories to exclude Brexit from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    This

70 or so Tory ERGs want no deal.

The majority of Tories do NOT want no deal.

Labour and SNP will vote against anything Boris puts forward.

Boris has no way to get a majority on anything. His only option is a GE, but then he risks losing too many votes to the Brexit Party.

Only 2 outcomes will solve this mess ....

A GE with Tory/Brexit Party/DUP majority that is prepared to vote for no deal (for that they will need a clear out of a lot of current MPs)

or/

A GE with a Lib Dem majority that revokes A50

More likely that outcome is continued chaos
                    More likely indeed...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X