• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the calls for Boris to resign?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Pragmatically, if BJ did decide to resign surely this would trigger a new leadership contest which could take us past Oct31?
    Equally, the opposition do not want a GE.

If the PM DID resign then could we have no PM - is that possible? Because the "no no deal" law explicitly stipulates the PM must request an extension if no deal is reached by October 19. If there IS no PM, they don't have to request an extension.

Possible?
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    He would still be acting PM until a successor was elected (or a GE resulted in a new govt). So that scenario doesn't apply.
    No, the deputy PM takes over.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      That's not how selecting a leader works in the Tory party, was there an election when May stepped down.
      There was a leadership contest constituting several rounds of voting before the party membership had the final say. How long did that process take - would we have a new party leader before Oct 31?

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Acting means "Temporarily doing the job". So I doubt it will be an issue.
      So my question then is, does the PM HAVE to retain the role or can they refuse to do so? Does our unwritten constitution say someone MUST act as PM or can we legitimately have the role unfilled - for instance if the PM dies? Let's go complete hyperbole and say BJ is run over by a big red bus on October 18.

I could see BJ playing any kind of tricks to get Brexit achieved TBH!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The obvious answer to this is that Labour can call a motion of no confidence at any time. Arguably it would be wise to do so as soon as Parliament reconvenes. Despite the Tory spin about Labour "running away" from a general election it was obvious to anyone that the reason why the opposition parties would not support the PM's call for an election is because it would hand him control over the schedule. Calling a VONC allows Labour to potentially form an alternative government on their own terms and then call a general election after obtaining an A50 extension.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          It is in the interests of everyone in the country the Tory party is consigned to the dustbin of history.

Go Scottish courts!
          Which country would that be?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Which country would that be?

The peoples country my little marxist.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If there is a general election the Lib dems will be getting my vote.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

A Corbyn government is edging ever so close ....
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  There was a leadership contest constituting several rounds of voting before the party membership had the final say. How long did that process take - would we have a new party leader before Oct 31?

So my question then is, does the PM HAVE to retain the role or can they refuse to do so? Does our unwritten constitution say someone MUST act as PM or can we legitimately have the role unfilled - for instance if the PM dies? Let's go complete hyperbole and say BJ is run over by a big red bus on October 18.

I could see BJ playing any kind of tricks to get Brexit achieved TBH!
                  Labour have the post of Deputy PM, who becomes PM in that scenario, the Tories have the post of First Secretary of State, which currently is Dominic Raab.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    A Corbyn government is edging ever so close ....
                    Welcome to Venezuela...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      If there is a general election the Lib dems will be getting my vote.
                      I had you down as more of an AfD voter...

Comment

Working...
                      X