• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That chlorinated chicken stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    As I understand it, there's no health problem with chlorinated washing of chicken. The problem is the reason it's needed is the conditions further down the line, so more to do with animal welfare and preparation procedures.
    If you want to, you could break that down:
    - is there a problem or potential risk or long term effect with the ppm volume of chlorine solution that is left behind on the product?
    - is there a problem with the protein itself in that it needs a chlorine wash? (You could probably provide relative stats on food poisoning)
    - is there a problem with the conditions of slaughter? Do we want chicken pies knowing that the meat sat in a pile of sh1t before it was washed and sold to us?
    - is there a problem with the animal welfare? Not just from a namby pamby have-they-had-a-good-life before we eat them perspective, but it’s known that stress on animals before they are slaughtered produces a hormonal reaction.

Comment

As I understand it, there's no health problem with chlorinated washing of chicken. The problem is the reason it's needed is the conditions further down the line, so more to do with animal welfare and preparation procedures.
      Yes you're probably right. Don't know why people are banging on about chlorinated chicken. It's the hormone injected beef that the US routinely produces that I would particularly like to avoid.
      Still, obese, alcoholic gammon probably have other health issues to worry about.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's not just that. Food unwrapped on Channel 4 did a story on this.

The big problem is that the Salmonella bacteria is very resilient and chlorine washing doesn't kill 100% and you don't need much to get sick. What remains goes into "shut down" mode still alive, but very hard to detect by industry standard tests. So the still contaminated chicken passes inspections for Salmonella.

You just need to look at the figures to realise the difference between the EU and US. About 100k cases per year in the EU vs. 1.2m in the US.

Comment

Went to Chick Fil A in America earlier this year - and I am still standing so it cannot be that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Went to Chick Fil A in America earlier this year - and I am still standing so it cannot be that bad.

Comments like this is why we know you're stupid.
            Try and work out why this is a thick statement.
            It's not that hard.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Comments like this is why we know you're stupid.
              Try and work out why this is a thick statement.
              It's not that hard.
              Seriously?

Comment

@oldGreg I think the chlorination is to stop the food poisoning which would otherwise occur due to the standards of hygiene/welfare earlier in the pipeline.

@meridian - points 3+4 are probably most concerning (to me at least)

@originalPM
                Last edited by b0redom; 25 September 2019, 10:13.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Seriously?

Yes you're seriously thick.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    You just need to look at the figures to realise the difference between the EU and US. About 100k cases per year in the EU vs. 1.2m in the US.
                    The first sensible and believable thing I've heard in the "debate"

Comment

My grandfather smoked for 60 years and lived until he was 91. Smoking cannot be that bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X