• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FB Comments on Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Originally on the UKIP Tong Ward FB page, but since taken down. (There are 4 EU countries neighbouring Switzerland, and as far as goods are concerned, there is a hard border. Thanks to Schengen membership, there's no passport control - but there are still customs checks).
    meh, - i know some back roads, especially from Basel.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Whereas I had exactly the opposite in my recent trips to Bulgaria, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria and Holland (and USA for some strange reason). Probably hanging around the Union Jack Pub in Benidorm isn't the best place ...
      Just the sort of holier-than-thou crap I'd expect from you. It was the response from the French couple (next to us in the queue at a theatre, if you're bothered, but given your previous, you probably aren't) that surprised me. Middle aged and middle class, both said they'd vote to leave the EU in a heartbeat, and wished us (as in the UK) luck.
      If you took your head out of your arse for a moment, you might find there are millions across Europe who wouldn't piss on a Eurocrat if they were on fire. Not everyone wants to go where the European elite want to take them, and some serious tulip is on the cards if they aren't given the chance to say "non" when the time comes. Europeans prefer a good riot over a quiet protest every day...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Just the sort of holier-than-thou crap I'd expect from you. It was the response from the French couple (next to us in the queue at a theatre, if you're bothered, but given your previous, you probably aren't) that surprised me. Middle aged and middle class, both said they'd vote to leave the EU in a heartbeat, and wished us (as in the UK) luck.
        If you took your head out of your arse for a moment, you might find there are millions across Europe who wouldn't piss on a Eurocrat if they were on fire. Not everyone wants to go where the European elite want to take them, and some serious tulip is on the cards if they aren't given the chance to say "non" when the time comes. Europeans prefer a good riot over a quiet protest every day...
        So one couple, did you ask if they voted FN?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Having just returned from Spain, and having had to answer the "Brexit?" issue repeatedly from locals and other EU tourists, I had the same reaction. Nobody had a good word to say for the EU, and most seemed to think (or maybe just hoped) Brexit would be a decent kick up the arse of TPTB in Brussels.
          Everyone wants EU reform, but they know it's never going to happen. I was fully expecting abuse for expressing anti-EU sentiment, and I was pleasantly surprised to find universal agreement and sympathy for the UK leavers.
          I wonder what the result of any referendum across the entire EU might be? And that would explain why democracy is a slightly dirty word in Brussels...
          Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Whereas I had exactly the opposite in my recent trips to Bulgaria, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria and Holland (and USA for some strange reason). Probably hanging around the Union Jack Pub in Benidorm isn't the best place ...
          I had the same positive response about the EU over the summer in Slovenia and Croatia which was perhaps not surprising as I guess they have benefited in the past from EU funding for regeneration projects (they seem to have better roads than us!)

I was more recently in Denmark on a tour in Copenhagen with many other European nationalities. When all the different groups of nationalities were being introduced, a lot of people laughed with bemusement when Britain and Brexit was mentioned. I think it was a mixture of 'what on earth are you doing' and 'what a mess you've got into.'

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Yeah, we all know about your accessing of back roads
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Difficult with a HGV. Moreover, since Schengen was agreed, customs can carry out inspections up to 30 miles away from the border. And they do.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So you went from ....
                Having just returned from Spain, and having had to answer the "Brexit?" issue repeatedly from locals and other EU tourists, I had the same reaction. Nobody had a good word to say for the EU, and most seemed to think (or maybe just hoped) Brexit would be a decent kick up the arse of TPTB in Brussels.
                .... to the above and you think that validates your argument? Repeatedly = one couple? And you said in Spain, yet they were a French couple?

Have you spotted yet where your argument fell apart?

Wouldn't that be like me going into a shop in a tourist area, picking one at random let's say Brighton, and asking someone there their view on Brexit and when they say they are all for Remain extrapolating that one conversation to the whole nation?

Dim does not go far enough sometimes to describe some of you lot who voted out

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I had the same positive response about the EU over the summer in Slovenia and Croatia which was perhaps not surprising as I guess they have benefited in the past from EU funding for regeneration projects (they seem to have better roads than us!)

I was more recently in Denmark on a tour in Copenhagen with many other European nationalities. When all the different groups of nationalities were being introduced, a lot of people laughed with bemusement when Britain and Brexit was mentioned. I think it was a mixture of 'what on earth are you doing' and 'what a mess you've got into.'
                  Yep, pretty much my experience too. Like many successful contractors, I've been fortunate to work all over the world, and a lot in Europe, and met some great people. I keep in touch with most of these on social media and, like you, they are bemused by the damage we are doing to ourselves, but then they also understand the rise of the alt-right so they do get it.

Comment

Nice story bro. But makes you appear thick as pigtulip.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Everyone wants EU reform, but they know it's never going to happen. I was fully expecting abuse for expressing anti-EU sentiment, and I was pleasantly surprised to find universal agreement and sympathy for the UK leavers.
                      I wonder what the result of any referendum across the entire EU might be? And that would explain why democracy is a slightly dirty word in Brussels...
                      Clearly cretins surround themselves with cretins, even on holidays abroad...

I'm pretty sure I know way (like wayyyyyyyyyyyyy) more EU people (non British) than you and don't know ONE with similar opinion! I guess that that just proves my point...
                      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Working...
                      X