• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FB Comments on Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I had the same positive response about the EU over the summer in Slovenia and Croatia which was perhaps not surprising as I guess they have benefited in the past from EU funding for regeneration projects (they seem to have better roads than us!)

I was more recently in Denmark on a tour in Copenhagen with many other European nationalities. When all the different groups of nationalities were being introduced, a lot of people laughed with bemusement when Britain and Brexit was mentioned. I think it was a mixture of 'what on earth are you doing' and 'what a mess you've got into.'
    Something more on this lines...
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Yeah, we all know about your accessing of back roads
      somehow, i doubt it.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Difficult with a HGV. Moreover, since Schengen was agreed, customs can carry out inspections up to 30 miles away from the border. And they do.
      Well, no, it wasn't an hgv, was a motoguzzi.

never saw anyone at the lorrach border road i used for my food shopping in germany

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Just the sort of holier-than-thou crap I'd expect from you. It was the response from the French couple (next to us in the queue at a theatre, if you're bothered, but given your previous, you probably aren't) that surprised me. Middle aged and middle class, both said they'd vote to leave the EU in a heartbeat, and wished us (as in the UK) luck.
        If you took your head out of your arse for a moment, you might find there are millions across Europe who wouldn't piss on a Eurocrat if they were on fire. Not everyone wants to go where the European elite want to take them, and some serious tulip is on the cards if they aren't given the chance to say "non" when the time comes. Europeans prefer a good riot over a quiet protest every day...
        Sounds like you found some middle class French fascists. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          I had the same positive response about the EU over the summer in Slovenia and Croatia which was perhaps not surprising as I guess they have benefited in the past from EU funding for regeneration projects (they seem to have better roads than us!)
          '
          This didn't stop Wales, that receives 680m/y from the EU voting for Brexit...

Anti-immigration Brexit voters don't get it that one of the main functions of subsidising the poorer EU countries is to uplift them, make them more attractive and reduce the incentive of their population to migrate to the UK. Already working for Poland with significant amount of Polish immigrants in the UK returning to Poland.

Meanwhile these markets are cultivated and UK business benefit from exporting to them. It's money well spend (minus the EU corruption that eats some of it). Better than Aircraft carriers without planes and nuclear subs with US controlled warheads, or 10min faster commute between London and Birmingham...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            This didn't stop Wales, that receives 680m/y from the EU voting for Brexit...

Anti-immigration Brexit voters don't get it that one of the main functions of subsidising the poorer EU countries is to uplift them, make them more attractive and reduce the incentive of their population to migrate to the UK. Already working for Poland with significant amount of Polish immigrants in the UK returning to Poland.

Meanwhile these markets are cultivated and UK business benefit from exporting to them. It's money well spend (minus the EU corruption that eats some of it). Better than Aircraft carriers without planes and nuclear subs with US controlled warheads, or 10min faster commute between London and Birmingham...
            The UK contribution to the EU is peanuts compared to the total spend, and as you say the long term benefits are substantial.
            But Brexiters being at the lower end of intelligence, foresight and planning as well as being terrible at maffs can't see the bigger picture.

Forgetting the economic benefits, Brexit goes against 400 years of British foreign policy maintaining a presence in Europe to divide and rule which can be done in modern times with the veto, rather than letting alliances go unchecked. So ironically if you don't like a United States of Europe, Brexit just makes it more likely.
            Last edited by sasguru; 3 October 2019, 12:01.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Forgetting the economic benefits, Brexit goes against 400 years of British foreign policy maintaining a presence in Europe to divide and rule which can be done in modern times with the veto, rather than letting alliances go unchecked. So ironically if you don't like a United States of Europe, Brexit just makes it more likely.
              Continental system 2.0 vs. Empire 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                never saw anyone at the lorrach border road i used for my food shopping in germany
                I've not been stopped at the main crossings for years. But 2 years ago, they'd set up a checkpoint on Rue de Bâle (from Hèsingue), and I got stopped at that. Fortunately I was below the duty free limits - I usually am.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I've not been stopped at the main crossings for years. But 2 years ago, they'd set up a checkpoint on Rue de Bâle (from Hèsingue), and I got stopped at that. Fortunately I was below the duty free limits - I usually am.
                  The last time I drove down to Zürich I got stopped at the border going into Switzerland by Swiss customs, they wanted to know how much money I had on me (I only had €80)! They also stopped all the cars with UK number plates for some reason or other
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    The last time I drove down to Zürich I got stopped at the border going into Switzerland by Swiss customs, they wanted to know how much money I had on me (I only had €80)! They also stopped all the cars with UK number plates for some reason or other
                    Must be all the British money launderers.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      They stopped your car, and all the cars with UK number plates. That must've been hell for you, to be singled out!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X