• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'proposes customs centres on both sides of border'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I think you'll find that I approved.
    No wonder you did it privately.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Before I answer your question, could you explain whow you would run a "Digital border"?
      Ok so it would work something like this

The Mersey Gateway Project

Which is a completely digital toll bridge - no toll booth just pay online within 24 hours (or buy a pass like we have).

Anyway you just extend this idea ..

So for example lets say you are driving a lorry which is scheduled to arrive in ROI and then go through the border into NI (why you would do that instead of just landing at an NI port I do not know - but whatever) so all you need to do is ensure that when completing your paperwork the reg number of the relevant vehicle is included in the details. As you go through the border area the cameras pick this up and as long as paperwork checks out all is okay.

You could also if you really wanted to have a lane or two where you could do a manual border check.

As for the locals - well there is a way for them to register to cross the border with no charge - obviously any trade will be subject to the standard trade rules and if this needs to be enforced then spot checks like on any other border crossing will be in force.

So you see not really that difficult is it.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Ok so it would work something like this

The Mersey Gateway Project

Which is a completely digital toll bridge - no toll booth just pay online within 24 hours (or buy a pass like we have).

Anyway you just extend this idea ..

So for example lets say you are driving a lorry which is scheduled to arrive in ROI and then go through the border into NI (why you would do that instead of just landing at an NI port I do not know - but whatever) so all you need to do is ensure that when completing your paperwork the reg number of the relevant vehicle is included in the details. As you go through the border area the cameras pick this up and as long as paperwork checks out all is okay.

You could also if you really wanted to have a lane or two where you could do a manual border check.

As for the locals - well there is a way for them to register to cross the border with no charge - obviously any trade will be subject to the standard trade rules and if this needs to be enforced then spot checks like on any other border crossing will be in force.

So you see not really that difficult is it
        Yes, we were told all along how easy Brexit would be.
        It's a pity your genius has not been recognised.
        You should apply to be a Brexit negotiator asap. Leave behing your low-level permie job forever

Fooking thick moron.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

in stead of no hard border with Ireland we will now have 2
          One in the Irish Sea and one somewhere around the real border
          Brexit plan revealed: Telegraph obtains proposal Boris Johnson will send to Brussels

Comment

Yes, we were told all along how easy Brexit would be.
            It's a pity your genius has not been recognised.
            You should apply to be a Brexit negotiator asap. Leave behing your low-level permie job forever

Fooking thick moron.

Comment

It's a shame it wasn't highlighted more, before the referendum, that the Irish border was such a thorny issue.

Perhaps it was mentioned but I don't remember it being flagged as a potential show stopper.

Thanks for that Dave.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                in stead of no hard border with Ireland we will now have 2
                One in the Irish Sea and one somewhere around the real border
                Brexit plan revealed: Telegraph obtains proposal Boris Johnson will send to Brussels
                What a dog's breakfast. Almost as if Boris doesn't want a deal at all
                Pity OPM wasn't on the negotiatating team
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

What a dog's breakfast. Almost as if Boris doesn't want a deal at all
                  Pity OPM wasn't on the negotiatating team
                  Can you actually explain what is so bad about a frictionless boarder between NI and ROI?

And also can you explain why all of a sudden we are interested in the internal border issues of the EU?

The Uk will have a border with the EU - like when i go to France I need to go through some sort of border control - that will remain in fact the only thing that will change is going directly to ROI from the UK or NI I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Can you actually explain what is so bad about a frictionless boarder between NI and ROI?

And also can you explain why all of a sudden we are interested in the internal border issues of the EU?

I'm afraid your stupidity is different class. You haven't grasped this issue in the slightest, have you?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm afraid your stupidity is different class. You haven't grasped this issue in the slightest, have you?
                      Go on then, spell it out, regale us with your in-depth analysis.

FFS man, you're like JTB but without the personality!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X