• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'proposes customs centres on both sides of border'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'm really glad you're depressed.
    I do cheer up when I contemplate what's going to happen to you and your ilk post-Brexit though
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I do cheer up when I contemplate what's going to happen to you and your ilk post-Brexit though
      You're absolutely right! It kinda puts things in perspective… that and the circus the parliament has been lately! Those must be the only positive aspects of Brexit....
      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Turd polished:

UK proposals for a new Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland - GOV.UK

Still no provisions for movement of people.

Odds of it being approved by EU27 and Parliament?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Turd polished:

At the moment, zero. It’s like they’re not even reading what they’re writing.

That means that the Northern Ireland institutions – the Assembly and the Executive – must be able to give their consent on an ongoing basis to this zone (and to the Single Electricity Market, which raises similar issues).

Comment

Turd polished:

It might help if you were to let us know "which" people. British? Irish? EU? Non-EU? Legal? Illegal? There's a whole gamut out there.

Considering Ireland didn't sign up to Schengen, how does Ireland handle its borders currently?
            Last edited by Zigenare; 2 October 2019, 15:00.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              It might help if you were to let us know "which" people. British? Irish? EU? Non-EU? Legal? Illegal? There's a whole gamut out there.
              I will bite...

ANY people, since we are taking back control of our borders and are looking for immigration rules different from the EU. How are we going to establish if a person crossing the border from ROI to NI has the right to enter the UK.

More importantly (since the UK clearly doesn't care about the inbound traffic) how is the EU going to control who is entering the EU from NI.

Comment

I will bite...

ANY people, since we are taking back control of our borders and are looking for immigration rules different from the EU. How are we going to establish if a person crossing the border from ROI to NI has the right to enter the UK.

More importantly (since the UK clearly doesn't care about the inbound traffic) how is the EU going to control who is entering the EU from NI.
                There are already agreements in place for the movement of British and Irish people between the two states. Who next?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I will bite...

It isn't the EU's business who enters the RoI. The EU isn't some kind of sovereign state like the USA.

Comment

I will bite...

Hmm, not sure why I bothered replying only a couple of hours ago to both of those.

Here’s a question for you: as a proportion of all people that enter the U.K., how many have the right to enter (and I’m using that exact word).

How many enter that don’t have a right to enter, but have the privilege of entering legally?

How many enter that have neither the right nor the privilege?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      It isn't the EU's business who enters the RoI. The EU isn't some kind of sovereign state like the USA.
                      However...

You will need an ID card or passport if you are travelling within the European Union. And not just when you cross a border (for example, via an airport). You must also be able to show an ID card or passport if you are staying in a European country.

Comment

Working...
                      X