• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ready for Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You have a tendency to 'seem to remember' a lot of stuff that is then proven to be absolute tosh. Why not state some facts, not what you 'seem to remember'?
    rules change over the years. It's 20 years since I drove in the EU. However, the fact that one poster here has stated that laptops should be declared, should also indicate that items of a similar value, e.g. cameras, should also be declared.

watches need to be declared, so why not cameras?

Yes, You Must Pay Duties And Taxes On Your Personal Watches When Traveling, But Here's How To Avoid The Worst | Quill & Pad

and a specific mention here of photographic equioment
    customs and immigration - When travelling internationally with valuable personal effects, how do I avoid paying duty at each border crossing? - Travel Stack Exchange

so do you concede?
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 7 October 2019, 14:14.

Comment

Customs online - Baggage

Restricted:
      goods that you use professionally (for example photographic equipment, cases of samples) or that will be not only imported occasionally, you have to apply an oral declaration;

You must always use the red exit and declare the goods to the customs if
      • the goods are not for the exclusively private use of yourself or a member of your household (e.g. professional camera equipment, cases of samples);
      • the goods are subject to bans or restrictions;
      • a Carnet ATA has been issued for the goods;
      • the goods are not duty-free;
      • the import of the goods is not of an occasional nature;
      • the goods are being imported for commercial purposes, even though they are duty-free.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        rules change over the years. It's 20 years since I drove in the EU. However, the fact that one poster here has stated that laptops should be declared, should also indicate that items of a similar value, e.g. cameras, should also be declared.

watches need to be declared, so why not cameras?

Yes, You Must Pay Duties And Taxes On Your Personal Watches When Traveling, But Here's How To Avoid The Worst | Quill & Pad

and a specific mention here of photographic equioment
        customs and immigration - When travelling internationally with valuable personal effects, how do I avoid paying duty at each border crossing? - Travel Stack Exchange

so do you concede?
        No.

I've traveled shoot loads around the world with my Nikon kit which values close to £10k. Add my wife's similar kit and we have a very expensive camera bag (s) and not once, ever, in any country, have we ever had to declare our kit. It always goes in hand luggage with me (obviously) and so the bags are opened up and checked every time we go through security.

With work I've always taken laptops. Again, never ever been asked to declare anything.

Link to an official site, and not some blogger style site, then I might concede
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          No.

I've traveled shoot loads around the world with my Nikon kit which values close to £10k. Add my wife's similar kit and we have a very expensive camera bag (s) and not once, ever, in any country, have we ever had to declare our kit. It always goes in hand luggage with me (obviously) and so the bags are opened up and checked every time we go through security.

With work I've always taken laptops. Again, never ever been asked to declare anything.

Link to an official site, and not some blogger style site, then I might concede
          clearly you've been lucky and your experience differs from mine. I was questioned about my Pentax SLR when returning from Switzerland in 1997. The fact that you haven't had to declare your photographic equipment has been at the discretion of the customs officers. That doesn't alter the fact that you could be required to declare the equipment, as the link I provided indicated.

Comment

John, you’re ranting as ever, having jumped from laptops being used as part of a business to cameras being used personally by holidaymakers.

I’ve been stopped at Calais and asked for paperwork when I was working in Belgium. Easy, I fired up the client’s laptop and showed them the scanned Limosa.
            I’ve been stopped about my camera gear, but normally it has been by customs staff who are interested in photography. I rarely take all my lenses (not least because one of them is over 3kg in weight and light aircraft limit you to 15kg total baggage), but there’s usually something in my bag that will interest a keen tog.

It’s always useful to have a few images on your memory cards to show them. In the old days I’d have carried a couple of neg strips.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              John, you’re ranting as ever, having jumped from laptops being used as part of a business to cameras being used personally by holidaymakers.

I’ve been stopped at Calais and asked for paperwork when I was working in Belgium. Easy, I fired up the client’s laptop and showed them the scanned Limosa.
              I’ve been stopped about my camera gear, but normally it has been by customs staff who are interested in photography. I rarely take all my lenses (not least because one of them is over 3kg in weight and light aircraft limit you to 15kg total baggage), but there’s usually something in my bag that will interest a keen tog.

It’s always useful to have a few images on your memory cards to show them. In the old days I’d have carried a couple of neg strips.
              I had a 36mm Pentax SLR and if you read carefully, I based my statement on my experience of being asked to prove it hadn't been bought in the EU when I returned from Switzerland in the late 90's. I did also say that regulations can change, but the links I provided intimate that expensive watches and photographic equipment should be declared as they could be subject to various taxes. There is nothing definitive in my statement.

Comment

Ready for Brexit?

I had a 36mm Pentax SLR
                No you didn’t. Pentax have never made a 36mm SLR.

There is nothing definitive in my statement.
                There never is.

But this bit...
                ...my experience of being asked to prove it hadn't been bought in the EU when I returned from Switzerland in the late 90's...
                Were you asked to prove this by the Swiss border guards, the UK ones, or ones in an unnamed country?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                X