• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You only have 26 days left to get that all up and running...

they only had 3 years to think of some of these solutions & implement them.

This used to be done by poor families & those on benefits. The farmers supplied accommodation and the benefits were paused & restored while they did seasonal work. The farmers decided to replace that with cheap labour taking advantage of those in poorer countries. I weep for their loss Its just like stealing foreign doctors & Nurses because the NHS is too cheap to train them.

As mentioned before there are now robots that can pick soft fruit more effectively and cheaply.
    Or we could adjust the benefits system so people can do seasonal work. The more times we can get them to dip in to work the more likely they will remain in it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Or we could adjust the benefits system so people can do seasonal work. The more times we can get them to dip in to work the more likely they will remain in it.
      A rare moment of lucidity. I agree with this.

Comment

Dear Deity, the benefits "system" now throws a wobbly in a 5 week month with two pay days leading to endless joy for the poor sods dependent on it.

One wonders if the bald headed clown who thunk it up did this intentionally.

Then again he's really too thick for that.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          In a rare moment of lucidity. I agree with this.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Dear Deity, the benefits "system" now throws a wobbly in a 5 week month with two pay days leading to endless joy for the poor sods dependent on it.

I doubt Dunkers got involved at that level. I suspect the contractor entrusted with this screwed it up

Though I doubt he could organise a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

'the benefits system'.
              hmm.
              this is the only country in europe that criminalises people who claim on unemployment/ disabled insurance.
              when you work, you pay social insurance contributions.
              when you find yourself our of work, you claim on that insurance.
              just like car insurance, home insurance, life insurance, etc etc.

i'm fecking sick of the stupid, ignorant twats stigmatising people who find themselves unemployed/ redundant/ disabled.

anywhere else <in europe. i have no experience elsewhere> it's considered unfortunate, but not criminal.

Comment

they only had 3 years to think of some of these solutions & implement them.

This used to be done by poor families & those on benefits. The farmers supplied accommodation and the benefits were paused & restored while they did seasonal work. The farmers decided to replace that with cheap labour taking advantage of those in poorer countries. I weep for their loss Its just like stealing foreign doctors & Nurses because the NHS is too cheap to train them.

As mentioned before there are now robots that can pick soft fruit more effectively and cheaply.
                You missed the students that used to do this; back in the day, there would be transport from my concrete jungle town in the Black Country, that would ship 6th form students to the green fields to pick fruit all day. Problem is, it's not worth students doing this any more when there is easier work available, e.g. Starbucks. The foreign labour came in to fill this gap; the foreign labour leaves, it's unlikely the students will step back in again.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  You missed the students that used to do this; back in the day, there would be transport from my concrete jungle town in the Black Country, that would ship 6th form students to the green fields to pick fruit all day. Problem is, it's not worth students doing this any more when there is easier work available, e.g. Starbucks. The foreign labour came in to fill this gap; the foreign labour leaves, it's unlikely the students will step back in again.
                  Times have changed.

There’s more pressure on students now to perform, so they’re hardly available to take an entire day out fruit picking. Starbucks is both easier and closer. Three 3-hour shifts during the week pays the same and spreads the workload so studies don’t suffer and they still get a lie-in on Sunday...

On top of that, growers have consolidated and expanded (so they’re larger than a minibus of students can handle), and fruit is expected to be available to the supermarkets fresh every day. One or two days a week of students picking isn’t going to cut it for the supermarkets’ contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    'the benefits system'.
                    hmm.
                    this is the only country in europe that criminalises people who claim on unemployment/ disabled insurance.
                    when you work, you pay social insurance contributions.
                    when you find yourself our of work, you claim on that insurance.
                    just like car insurance, home insurance, life insurance, etc etc.

i'm fecking sick of the stupid, ignorant twats stigmatising people who find themselves unemployed/ redundant/ disabled.

anywhere else <in europe. i have no experience elsewhere> it's considered unfortunate, but not criminal.

I would be surprised if the rest of Europe doesn't do something about theft like this?

Named and shamed: Five of Britain's biggest benefits cheats who stole GBP4.5m from the taxpayer | Daily Mail Online

The self-proclaimed agoraphobic was found guilty of ripping off the taxpayer at Plymouth Crown Court last month.Despite claiming she could not leave the house alone, the benefit cheat lived in Goa for large parts of the year.
                    She was convicted and sentenced to 27 months for falsely claiming more than £134,000 in disability benefits, income support, housing benefit and council tax benefit.
                    Ruth Nabaguzzi, 49, of Forest Gate, London

One of Britain's biggest ever benefit fraudsters is Ruth Nabaguzzi, who cheated the taxpayer out of an estimated £4million using 100 false identities.
                    She was the leader of a family of organised benefit fraudsters, who over a period of 20 years cheated the taxpayer out of millions.
                    Ian Burns, 72, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Buckinghamshire pensioner Ian Burns was found guilty at Amersham Crown Court on in December of ripping off the taxpayer for almost a quarter of a million pounds.
                    Government investigators discovered that in addition to claiming the State Pension, Pension Credit and housing benefit in his own name, Mr Burns also claimed the State Pension and other benefits in the names of three other people, including that of a dead Irish national.
                    Amanda Casserley, 34, and Andrew Hayes, 39, of Bournemouth, Dorset

Parents of four Amanda Casserley and Andrew Hayes were found guilty of stealing £120,000 of public money at Bournemouth's crown court in May.
                    Ms Casserley claimed £106,000 in benefits, tax credits and housing benefit over a ten-year period.
                    She did not inform DWP that she had restarted a relationship with the father of her children, Andrew Hayes while saying she was a single mum.
                    Allan Baldwin, 67, of Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire

Mr Baldwin was found guilty of being a benefit cheat at Preston Crown Court in June.
                    The active member of the Solway Morris dancing group was found guilty of frequently claiming Disability Living Allowance. Over a five-year period Baldwin claimed over £28,000.

+7

He claimed he could not walk more than five metres - and that he needed support to help him carry his shopping and help outside because he was likely to stumble and fall.

now there are plenty of people that have difficulty claiming benefits but there are plenty that abuse it.

Comment

I would be surprised if the rest of Europe doesn't do something about theft like this?

Named and shamed: Five of Britain's biggest benefits cheats who stole GBP4.5m from the taxpayer | Daily Mail Online
                      They do. What they don't do is stigmatise all unemployed and those on disability as all a bunch of criminals, based on the actions of the very small minority who cheat the system.

Which was the point BR14 was making.

now there are plenty of people that have difficulty claiming benefits but there are plenty that abuse it.
                      According to this fraud overpayments stood at 1.5% in 2017.

The majority of claimants are not abusing the system.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X