• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was discussed on Farming Today a while back. Farmers were anticipating the supply of pickers from the EU to dry up fairly soon anyway due to improvements back in their home countries. Brexit, and especially the fall in the £, has just accelerated this. They are counting on the Govt allowing them to hire temporary workers from other countries. Spanish farmers use (exploit) African workers.

Exploited to put food on our plates: ‘we live like animals’ – Channel 4 News
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

No-deal Brexit would push UK debt to 50-year high, says think tank - BBC News

Comment

"The government is now adrift without any effective fiscal anchor," said IFS director Paul Johnson.

IFS warns of biggest squeeze on pay for 70 years over Brexit | Business | The Guardian
        UK faces two decades of no earnings growth and more austerity, says IFS | Business | The Guardian

UK pay growth rises to 3.1%, the highest in almost a decade | Business | The Guardian

UK wage growth fastest for nearly 10 years - BBC News

UK wage growth picks up to 11-year high - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by The Article
          The think tank said borrowing was likely to rise to £100bn and total debt would soar to 90% of national income.
          It's still better than France.

Grand scheme of things when you're already $8 trillion in debt £100bn is small change.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The BBC seems to spend a lot of time commenting on Paul Johnson's fantastic insights.

Never seems to question him on his bulltulip.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              It's still better than France.
              The french are detestable.

I'm glad they made a word for themselves.

Comment

I picked bananas on a kibbutz, grapes in France when I was young as it was an adventure.
                I would not have picked fruit in the UK.
                Maybe a lot of EU workers come to the UK to pick fruit and other low paid jobs to practice their English.
                The English are quite prepared to go to australia and work on farms but wouldn't dream of picking fruit in the UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Daily wail alternative headline:

Given the earth is 4.543 billion years old, 50 year debt pile is a rounding error.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Agent on the phone last week offering a job in Bristol that was just a fraction above that I charged in 2008. Of course it was a 11 year high! All 3% extra

Ludicrous.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                      I picked bananas on a kibbutz, grapes in France when I was young as it was an adventure.
                      I would not have picked fruit in the UK.
                      Maybe a lot of EU workers come to the UK to pick fruit and other low paid jobs to practice their English.
                      The English are quite prepared to go to australia and work on farms but wouldn't dream of picking fruit in the UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                      You know - I think this may have something to do with the fact that they are 'travelling the world' and need jobs to fund that...

If you only work in the UK you are probably not doing as much traveling as you would like - obviously if you get to a farm in Australia then you are travelling.

So I think the people who do go work on farms in Australia are not the sort of the people who would actually see fruit picking in the UK as a career they would pursue.

Comment

Working...
                      X