• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You know - I think this may have something to do with the fact that they are 'travelling the world' and need jobs to fund that...

If you only work in the UK you are probably not doing as much traveling as you would like - obviously if you get to a farm in Australia then you are travelling.

So I think the people who do go work on farms in Australia are not the sort of the people who would actually see fruit picking in the UK as a career they would pursue.
    Don't bring logic and reason into this. Remember your audience.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Don't bring logic and reason into this. Remember your audience.
      There was no reason or logic in oPM's post, a 'career' in fruit picking!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        You know - I think this may have something to do with the fact that they are 'travelling the world' and need jobs to fund that...

If you only work in the UK you are probably not doing as much traveling as you would like - obviously if you get to a farm in Australia then you are travelling.

So I think the people who do go work on farms in Australia are not the sort of the people who would actually see fruit picking in the UK as a career they would pursue.
        Like a stopped clock, you’ve inadvertently hit the right answer for a change. In Australia, for example, seasonal work such as fruit picking requires a high demand of numbers of people for a short defined period. For Brit backpackers Oz offers an additional year on the working holiday visa if they do three months farm work.

With this in mind, what do you think the solution should be for seasonal workers required for U.K. growers?

And what do you think of the argument that getting rid of cheap EU labour will mean that U.K. people will take up that slack?

Comment

Working...
        X