• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving back control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving back control

From a friend...

This afternoon I had the great pleasure of seeing how wonderful it is for Great Britain to “take back control“ in celebration of Brexit.I thought I would share my joy with you.
    Having queued in the post office for an hour to be told that I had to join another queue as only one lady was trained to help me, I joined her queue to wait for 20 minutes.
    The charming lady told me to join a further 10 minute queue for a photo machine as unlike passports it could not be a digital photo. Armed with my paper photos I rejoined a queue for another 30 minutes.
    The lady asked me which European countries I would be driving in over the next year. As I will be driving in several countries I was thrilled to find that I had taken so much control back that I would need four international driving permits, each inscribed with details of the Convention on Road Traffic of 19th of September 1949; into which decade I definitely felt I had now lapsed.
    A rather scruffy piece of card was then inscribed manually with my details. My photograph was glued into it. This process was repeated four times.
    Having parted with £28 for the privilege of driving in Europe, I was thrilled to find that I could take back control and repeat the whole process and make the same payment next year; subject to increase by Her Majesty’s government.
    As I left the post office I was overjoyed to see that the pound had fallen dramatically further today thus ensuring that I could feel even more impoverished than previous falls in Sterling have already made me.
    Nevertheless, having reverted to a period of my early childhood when travel was so much more difficult, I will benefit from feeling awfully nostalgic while I drive in poverty through Europe, with my four antediluvian card passes.

I’m really looking forward to taking back more control on 31 October.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I've seen this one now 10 times on facebook, all claiming to be from a friend.

I used to have an international driving permit on a few occasions to rent cars abroad. Both car rental companies and the police did not have clue what this document was, they only looked at my regular driving license
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Why not stay in the UK?

As soon as you go abroad it is full of foreigners.....

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        From a friend...

Required from 1st August 2020 for visits longer than 6 months. Sounds reasonable to me.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Why not stay in the UK?

As soon as you go abroad it is full of foreigners.....
          Not in Benidorm
          Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
            Not in Benidorm
            After 31st October they will not be allowed back in the UK and will lose their citizenship. Hopefully. We can replace them with some hard working immigrants.

Comment

Working...
            X