• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breakup of the U.K.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Not worse, just long lasting.

After 1937 markets took 17 years to recover their previous highs. The roaring twenties pumped assets to stupid levels just like where we are now.

However, if you're without debts and have a hoard of cash, well then smile cause you're about to pick up some bargains.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Not worse, just long lasting.

After 1937 markets took 17 years to recover their previous highs. The roaring twenties pumped assets to stupid levels just like where we are now.

However, if you're without debts and have a hoard of cash, well then smile cause you're about to pick up some bargains.
      nothing to do with a global war, then.

WWS.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        nothing to do with a global war, then.
        I'm afraid a one liner retort doesn't explain the reason why 1937 is so similar to the present. War was the outcome of rising powers, populism, voter apathy, as well as the debt cycle. Sound familiar?

When politics reaches a state that divides so many, who are mired in debt, and easily led by populist rhetoric.... you really need to pay attention to history.

These debt cycles nearly always end in conflict between the rising powers. Back then it was Germany / US / Japan. Today it's China, who are almost reaching the GDP of the US while up to their eyeballs in debt. Just like Germany of the past, China has spread its arms far and wide, throughout Africa, South America with investment interests. Then there's the worrisome rise of populism in China itself together with the resentment of westerners. China is not the same place as it was 10 years ago greeting foreigners with open arms. The change is absolutely gobsmacking. You could argue the trade wars have something to do with it, but really this change in direction had begun before then.

Ray Dalio discusses the anatomy of the debt cycle
        Last edited by scooterscot; 13 October 2019, 16:05.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Blah blah blah
          you really need to pay attention to history.

blah blah blah
          not really, i don't give a flying feck. actually

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            The Torygraph calls for the breakup of the United Kingdom.

First step NI. Any other country, region, or county not pulling their weight will be next (waves at Wales, Cornwall, and anywhere north of Watford)....

No surprises here... one of the reasons for Brexit was that poor nations are bringing UK down, why NI would be treated any different!? At last some coherence...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
              No surprises here... one of the reasons for Brexit was that poor nations are bringing UK down..
              Well then, Northern England is fooked. That includes Swindon.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Well then, Northern England is fooked. That includes Swindon.
                So, we'll add geography to the list of topics you know ****-all about.

German - written.
                Economics
                History
                Geography
                Investments

Anyone think of anything else?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

German - written.
                  Economics
                  History
                  Geography
                  Investments

Expense claim management

Comment

To be brutally honest mate, if we want the services in this country then we're all going to have to start paying more tax. Let's take a leaf out of Sweden's book for example. Taxation in Sweden.

When I first started as a contractor, I had a limited company because that was the only way that agencies would deal with me, not because of any tax incentives.
                    I wouldn't mind paying more tax, right after they start taxing the large multinationals properly.

Also I would prefer if the money is spend better, not on low priority infrastructure projects like the HS2 or life term UC for people who simply refuse to work.

Comment

German - written.
                      Economics
                      History
                      Geography
                      Investments

Graphs. To be fair, his charting skills are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X