• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breakup of the U.K.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakup of the U.K.

The Torygraph calls for the breakup of the United Kingdom.

First step NI. Any other country, region, or county not pulling their weight will be next (waves at Wales, Cornwall, and anywhere north of Watford)....

Whose opinion is that (it's presumably not an editorial piece)?
    Knowing who said that makes answering the question easier (or not).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Written by someone called David Green and the first paragraph references some poll by Lord Ashcroft. The rest is behind a paywall despite trying the Google the title trick

Northern Ireland is a burden on the rest of the UK. We can't let it get in the way of Brexit

EDIT: someone copy/pasted the article onto Reddit
      https://www.reddit.com/r/northernire...e_rest_of_the/

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Whose opinion is that (it's presumably not an editorial piece)?
        Knowing who said that makes answering the question easier (or not).
        David Green is a Director of Civitas
        Civitas (think tank) - Wikipedia

Civitas, originally based at 77 Great Peter Street,[1] is now based at 55 Tufton Street, in the same premises as Business for Britain and where Vote Leave was originally registered.
        Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Thanks. I was expecting to find he was historically in favour of a united Ireland or something similar. It seems he's actually so pro-Brexit that whatever happens to NI is "collateral damage", and has come up with some numbers to support that view.
          I'm working my way through the comments.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Thanks. I was expecting to find he was historically in favour of a united Ireland or something similar. It seems he's actually so pro-Brexit that whatever happens to NI is "collateral damage", and has come up with some numbers to support that view.
            I'm working my way through the comments.
            *Tin foil hat on*

They come out of the same location as several other “low regulation” outfits, eg Taxpayers Alliance, etc.

Their driver for Brexit appears to be the opportunity for a race-to-the-bottom type firesale of regulations and standards. Right-wing capitalism and exploitation of the weakest.

YMMV.

Comment

Wow - Just wow.

It'll be 20 years before some semblance of the life in England we once knew returns.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 12 October 2019, 20:43.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Wow - Just wow.

It'll be 20 years before some semblance of the life in England we once knew returns.
                Thankfully I'll be dead by then.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Thankfully I'll be dead by then.
                  Terminal illness?
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Terminal illness?
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X