• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREAKING NEWS: A deal has been done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Didn't the Benn act say that, if Bojo doesn't get a deal then he must ask for an extension. Well, he has his deal so, no extension letter needs to be written.

Of course, if Westminster now votes this deal down, that's not Bojo's fault and he can, within the limits of the law, go to the end of October and leave on no deal

Parliament has been played - they either vote for this 'new' deal, or they get a no deal crash out.

What was the legal wording of "got a deal?"
    Interesting point though.

So it looks like DUP won't accept it and Labour will be whipping their MPs bloody to vote it down too.

How about, agree the deal, request the extension (blaming Benn) then immediately hold a GE to seek a majority in order to accept the deal?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      What was the legal wording of "got a deal?"
      Interesting point though.

So it looks like DUP won't accept it and Labour will be whipping their MPs bloody to vote it down too.

How about, agree the deal, request the extension (blaming Benn) then immediately hold a GE to seek a majority in order to accept the deal?
      Too risky. Most leavers prefer no deal, although no deal is not the majority view of UK voters - recent polls show remaining is the majority view of a number of options given. A straight Remain / Leave option now appears to be 53/47 remain.

Crash out first, hope Corbyn is still Labour leader, then call GE before the tulip hits the fan re: no deal
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
        The DUP has cast doubt on its sign off, saying they still cannot support it.
        Not so, according to the news I'm seeing. DUP on board, it believes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Parliament can amend the deal to include a confirmatory referendum and a requirement to seek an extension. The beauty of British Parliamentary democracy is that Parliament is sovereign.
          Possible, but not likely. Too many MPs will bottle it on Saturday and just vote the deal through. Confirmatory vote doesn't have enough support in Westminster. But hey, who knows with this lot .... anything could happen. This is just my view - ask 100 people and you'll get 101 views
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Didn't the Benn act say that, if Bojo doesn't get a deal then he must ask for an extension. Well, he has his deal so, no extension letter needs to be written.

Of course, if Westminster now votes this deal down, that's not Bojo's fault and he can, within the limits of the law, go to the end of October and leave on no deal

Parliament has been played - they either vote for this 'new' deal, or they get a no deal crash out.

I thought this too, but after googling it appears parliament have to approve it also.

Comment

Possible, but not likely. Too many MPs will bottle it on Saturday and just vote the deal through. Confirmatory vote doesn't have enough support in Westminster. But hey, who knows with this lot .... anything could happen. This is just my view - ask 100 people and you'll get 101 views
              Who knows? Agreed.

Comment

Too risky. Most leavers prefer no deal,
                I don't think that's true at all. They prefer it to staying but the majority would prefer a GOOD deal. At this point I'm not sure if they would rather a bad deal, no deal, or just any deal!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Surely a no deal exit is far worse for DUP in terms of a hard border being imposed?
                  Why would a unionist party not like a nice new fat border showing where Ireland ends and the UK starts ?

Comment

Credit to BJ if he really has got rid of backstop and can get the ERG mob on board. I never thought he could do that.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      Credit to BJ if he really has got rid of backstop and can get the ERG mob on board. I never thought he could do that.
                      Not enough to get the deal through though... needs DUP and the those Torres me kicked out...

Or agree to second ref to get Labour onboard...

Comment

Working...
                      X