• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREAKING NEWS: A deal has been done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    A straight Remain / Leave option now appears to be 53/47 remain.
    Really? The latest ComRes showed 54% leave 46% remain. Unless you've been reading the New European again. I guess we'll soon find out what people really think in the GE.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I don't think that's true at all. They prefer it to staying but the majority would prefer a GOOD deal. At this point I'm not sure if they would rather a bad deal, no deal, or just any deal!
      Multiple recent polls suggest otherwise. Have UK voters changed their minds on Brexit? - BBC News

If no deal is available by end of Oct, 69% of those that voted out would prefer no deal (51% prefer no deal wherever we are by the end of Oct).
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        Why would a unionist party not like a nice new fat border showing where Ireland ends and the UK starts ?
        Because for all the DUP's tub thumping 'Ulster Says No' reputation, they are very business minded and the Protestant business and farming communities form a large part of their base. No deal would not go down well with that base.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Really? The latest ComRes showed 54% leave 46% remain. Unless you've been reading the New European again. I guess we'll soon find out what people really think in the GE.
          Although the latest Daily Telegraph poll shows 82% Leave and 61% Remain...polls, load of old bollocks....
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Because for all the DUP's tub thumping 'Ulster Says No' reputation, they are very business minded and the Protestant business and farming communities form a large part of their base. No deal would not go down well with that base.
            My understanding of the DUP the Union takes precedence over all else. We will see if they accept it but I don’t see how...

Comment

If they can’t get the numbers to get it through I hope they concede on the referendum and lets just get this done or stopped one way or another.
              Last edited by dx4100; 17 October 2019, 11:00.

Comment

What was the legal wording of "got a deal?"
                Interesting point though.

So it looks like DUP won't accept it and Labour will be whipping their MPs bloody to vote it down too.

How about, agree the deal, request the extension (blaming Benn) then immediately hold a GE to seek a majority in order to accept the deal?
                Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Not so, according to the news I'm seeing. DUP on board, it believes.
                The BBC and Sky are still reporting that the DUP are not on board. The terms of the deal seem to contradict one of the key principles of the Good Friday agreement on consent.

I think it's a high stakes poker game from BoJo and he's hoping the DUP will fold.

Comment

Garden gnome Corbyn has also something to say:
                  Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the deal sounded "even worse" than what was negotiated by the PM's predecessor, Theresa May, and "should be rejected" by MPs.
                  Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

What was the legal wording of "got a deal?"
                    Interesting point though.

So it looks like DUP won't accept it and Labour will be whipping their MPs bloody to vote it down too.

How about, agree the deal, request the extension (blaming Benn) then immediately hold a GE to seek a majority in order to accept the deal?
                    He can't do that without Labour (a two-thirds majority in Parliament is needed to call a GE*) and Labour aren't playing along.

*Thanks to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      If they can’t get the numbers to get it through I hope they concede on the referendum and lets just get this done or stopped on way or another.
                      Bollocks to that. Extend for six months. Have another GE. Get another hung Parliament. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                      X