• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letwin amendment and extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letwin amendment and extension

Whatever the eventual outcome, I know we can all agree that prolonging the entertainment can only be a good thing.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Whatever the eventual outcome, I know we can all agree that prolonging the entertainment can only be a good thing.
    1001 nights

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you're not part of the solution, there's good money to be made by exacerbating the problem. At this rate the nation will be facing a shortage.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Comment

Judging from the comments on LBC this morning, MPs have done excellent job. An amendment for a second referendum would be the icing on the cake.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Judging from the comments on LBC this morning, MPs have done excellent job. An amendment for a second referendum would be the icing on the cake.

There would have to be a GE first. The current crop don't seem to be able to agree how to interpret the result of a referendum.
            And if the EU ratify the deal this week, it looks like we're leaving anyway, since EU law trumps UK law. It would be ironic if the EU impose their deal on the UK against the will of Parliament.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              There would have to be a GE first. The current crop don't seem to be able to agree how to interpret the result of a referendum.
              And if the EU ratify the deal this week, it looks like we're leaving anyway, since EU law trumps UK law. It would be ironic if the EU impose their deal on the UK against the will of Parliament.
              If the EU FORCE us to leave we should fight back and repeal A50

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                If the EU FORCE us to leave we should fight back and repeal A50
                It'll be too late by then, once they say we're out, the A50 process "expires". I assume you mean revoke, rather than repeal, but:

It is up to the United Kingdom to trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed. Notification is a point of no return. Article 50 does not provide for the unilateral withdrawal of notification.*
                We could apply to rejoin though. Perhaps we could have a referendum...

anyone?

*Source: European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union – Q&A

Comment

The EU approving the deal doesn’t mean that we leave anyway. If it did, we would have left back in March and we clearly didn’t.

The EU has been clear that the U.K. Parliament is sovereign, and they await ratification by the U.K.

It'll be too late by then, once they say we're out, the A50 process "expires". I assume you mean revoke, rather than repeal, but:

anyone?

*Source: European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union – Q&A
                  That’s from 2017, and has been superseded by case law.

In December 2018, the European Court of Justice ruled that a country that had given notice under Article 50 to leave the EU could exercise its sovereign right to revoke its notice.

I’m not sure what you get out of it by continuing to promote easily debunked lies and mistruths?

Comment

Read the whole thing. The EU rules are that once you leave that's it, your decision cannot be reversed - they use the term "irrevocable" (and that cropped up in recent discussions apparently). We could re-apply of course, but it would be many years before we got to the head of the queue.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X