• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letwin amendment and extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The EU approving the deal doesn’t mean that we leave anyway. If it did, we would have left back in March and we clearly didn’t.
    The UK PM asked for an extension, and the request was granted. It may not be granted in the future. It is entirely at the EU Council's discretion.

That’s from 2017, and has been superseded by case law.

In December 2018, the European Court of Justice ruled that a country that had given notice under Article 50 to leave the EU could exercise its sovereign right to revoke its notice.
    So the ECJ ruled against the EU? I expect someone received a strongly worded memo...

I’m not sure what you get out of it by continuing to promote easily debunked lies and mistruths?
    At worst I had some out-of-date information re. the ECJ ruling. However, you call it "lies" if you like, and see if IGAS.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      The UK PM asked for an extension, and the request was granted. It may not be granted in the future. It is entirely at the EU Council's discretion.

Which is a different thing entirely to “the EU imposing the agreement in the U.K. against the will of Parliament”, which is what you originally wrote.

So the ECJ ruled against the EU? I expect someone received a strongly worded memo...

Guess again who the defendant was, that the ECJ ruled against.

At worst I had some out-of-date information re. the ECJ ruling. However, you call it "lies" if you like, and see if IGAS.
      At worst the chip on your shoulder is going to wreck your back.

Comment

He has two chips, one on each, so equally balanced and unlikely to cause spinal trouble.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That would certainly fit with your paranoid view of the EU..

Fair enough. Why assume mordy is being deceitful, when it could be put down to ignorance.

Comment

Which is a different thing entirely to “the EU imposing the agreement in the U.K. against the will of Parliament”, which is what you originally wrote.
            Read it again. I said "wouldn't it be ironic if...[that were to happen]" etc. which isn't the same as a statement of fact.

Guess again who the defendant was, that the ECJ ruled against.
            You didn't post any links so I guessed it was the EU, since they wrote it down in the document I posted a link to. If you need someone to play guessing games with, borrow a child and take it for a long drive.

Oh, we're at that level are we? Are there any toys left in your pram?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think journalists need to stop calling it a deal, it isn't. It's the withdrawal agreement, this was the easy bit. We are 5-10 years away from having a deal.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I think journalists need to stop calling it a deal, it isn't. It's the withdrawal agreement, this was the easy bit. We are 5-10 years away from having a deal.
                Why should we be? The UK is 100% aligned to all EU regulations, which is the bit the EU usually quibble over the most.

Comment

Why should we be? The UK is 100% aligned to all EU regulations, which is the bit the EU usually quibble over the most.
                  But once UK starts negotiating new deals with third countries (US, China etc.) those countries will demand that some of the current regulations to be more flexible, and very soon we are not aligned with EU regulations no more. I know some people believe UK holds all the carts (and all those non sense jargons used by leave campaign) and can impose its will to stronger and richer countries, but very soon these same people will find out that they couldn't furter from the true...
                  "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    He has two chips
                    Which is two more than any of the tight Yorkshire lot will be buying at the Manchester meetup.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Which is two more than any of the tight Yorkshire lot will be buying at the Manchester meetup.....
                      It's in the song 'money for nothing and your chips for free'
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X