• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "why"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
    Trump could be willing to buy the UK as his purchase of Greenland fell through, he's still looking for some land.
    I would prefer to join the USA than be part of the EU. If we have to be part of a big trading block, the USA is better.

Or maybe we could join China?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Not since the Lisbon Treaty changed all that. It's QMV all the way now.
      It's not all the way, like I said the most important decisions still require unanimous vote. The ones that require QMV will be based on population size, giving the UK additional weight.

Besides we signed the Lisbon Treaty, so we must have agreed to the new terms, no?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        It's not all the way, like I said the most important decisions still require unanimous vote. The ones that require QMV will be based on population size, giving the UK additional weight.
        One of the stated intentions of Lisbon was to get rid of vetoes*, and move to QMV. Where the UK (or anyone else) doesn't wish to participate in a scheme they can negotiate an opt-out (of which we have several). It doesn't change the policy, it merely regulates the extent of our participation in the policy. That is completely not the same as having a veto.

*And I accept that hasn't actually been fully achieved yet. However it is a stated policy direction, and I'm sure it will be fully fixed in future treaties.

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Besides we signed the Lisbon Treaty, so we must have agreed to the new terms, no?
        You have a short memory. Gordon Brown crept into a little back-room and signed it behind closed doors, having sent a Milliband to the actual ceremony. There was quite a lot of fuss about it at the time.

See if you can remember who said this (to Gordon Brown, in Parliament):

"This is not a treaty that Britain wanted or needed," he said. "It's a treaty you were so ashamed of you had to sign it in a room all on your own."
        It was David Cameron (remember him?) and here's what else he said:

David Cameron has said "never again" to powers being transferred from the UK to Brussels without a referendum.

He said all future treaties would be put to a public vote as he outlined his new European policy after ruling out a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

He also promised a sovereignty bill if the Tories win the next election to "lock in" the supremacy of UK laws.
        BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron's 'never again' vow on EU

In short, Lisbon probably contributed more than any other single factor to the eventual 2016 Referendum. If that result is ever enacted, at least Lisbon will have done something positive for the UK (aside from making Gordon Brown look ridiculous).
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The EU is a political cult, and Britain has woken up and is frantically trying to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

In short, Lisbon probably contributed more than any other single factor to the eventual 2016 Referendum. If that result is ever enacted, at least Lisbon will have done something positive for the UK (aside from making Gordon Brown look ridiculous).
            I would go a bit further and say it made the all country look ridiculous...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              The EU is a political cult, and Britain has woken up and is frantically trying to leave.
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                I would go a bit further and say it made the all country look ridiculous...
                I'll take a punt on this, but I'm guessing you're not familiar with the greatest works of Gordon Brown. Bearing in mind no-one in the country actually voted for him, aside from his constituents, if we need GB to make us look ridiculous, we really scraping the bottom.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                X