• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the EU offer extension beyond 31st October?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the EU offer extension beyond 31st October?

If they had any sense(which I think they do) they would immediately announce no extension. That would then cause UK idiot MPs(i.e, all of them) to vote for the latest deal.

Further delay would be worse than no-deal.

I expect they'll offer an extension, probably to 31st Jan as requested.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      I expect they'll offer an extension, probably to 31st Jan as requested.
      I think they will too. But to me it would be the first mistake the EU has made in negotiations with the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I think they will too. But to me it would be the first mistake the EU has made in negotiations with the UK.
        Actually agree with BP there...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Given that there's only a week to go, not granting an extension could result in "no deal". The EU have always stated that "no deal" would not be of their doing.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Given that there's only a week to go, not granting an extension could result in "no deal". The EU have always stated that "no deal" would not be of their doing.
            This.

In addition, the extension is flexible (if the U.K. ratifies the deal it can leave earlier), and the EU have always recognised the sovereignty of the U.K. parliament - Parliament has committed to the process of the Second Reading, it’s likely that the EU will acknowledge that the bill takes time to debate under the UK’s constitutional processes.

Comment

If there will be General elections first, followed by a confirmatory referendum (in case Lib Dem and Lab form a coalition government) Much longer then 3 months is needed
              Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
                If there will be General elections first, followed by a confirmatory referendum (in case Lib Dem and Lab form a coalition government) Much longer then 3 months is needed
                The EU would probably grant a further extension for a referendum.

Although I have to question, would the EU want to risk us revoking A50 and staying in? If I was them, I'd now view Brexit like an opportunity to get rid of a bad lodger. We are nothing but a pain in the arse.

Comment

It could. More likely it would force MPs into line.

Delays are bad for the UK and the EU.

And any delay could well lead to further delays - possibly even making a no-deal more likely.

Of course, further delays could mean the UK will stay in the EU.

Comment

The EU would probably grant a further extension for a referendum.

Although I have to question, would the EU want to risk us revoking A50 and staying in? If I was them, I'd now view Brexit like an opportunity to get rid of a bad lodger. We are nothing but a pain in the arse.
                    The UK has always been a pain. But pays handsomely. The EU will not want to lose that money. Even if Germany would happily fill the gap.

Comment

Working...
                    X