More rehash of the same old entrenched positions More rehash of the same old entrenched positions - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 61 to 70 of 79

Better than AtW

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    What Original is saying is "Let's say I was stupid and wrong. Very stupid and very wrong. If that is true it doesn't matter because nearly 50% of the British population were also very stupid and very wrong. So it is perfectly alright to get the country shafted for generations". Like so many other simpletons he can't grasp that 'democracy' never did, and never can, mean letting ordinary people decide what happens. Brexit has shown how irrational and self-deluded the average person is.
    Perhaps that is exactly what democracy is.
    A country rises and falls in lock-step with the intelligence of its population.
    There are too many stupids in the world to be able to control, all you can do is be adaptable and fleet of foot and, if possible, profit from the chaos caused by the stupids.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    What Original is saying is "Let's say I was stupid and wrong. Very stupid and very wrong. If that is true it doesn't matter because nearly 50% of the British population were also very stupid and very wrong. So it is perfectly alright to get the country shafted for generations". Like so many other simpletons he can't grasp that 'democracy' never did, and never can, mean letting ordinary people decide what happens. Brexit has shown how irrational and self-deluded the average person is.
    Well I am glad there are incredibly clever people like you around to tell us how to live our lives.

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots and only the very few know what is right for everyone and we should not worry our stupid little heads about it.

Anyway here are a few quotes about democracy for you to read over your porridge and juice

If I had to sum up the immediate future of democratic politics in a single word I should say “insurance.” That is the future—insurance against dangers from abroad, insurance against dangers scarcely less grave and much more near and constant which threaten us here at home in our own island. —Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 23 May 1909

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of that point. —House of Commons, 31 October 1944

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Well I am glad there are incredibly clever people like you around to tell us how to live our lives.

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots and only the very few know what is right for everyone and we should not worry our stupid little heads about it.
    You'll be voting for them on December 12th 2019
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Better than AtW

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots
    After spending some time on this forum, you know now.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I live on CUK

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944
    So why do you bitch and whine like a 1930s Central European fascist, when the elected representatives act in the best traditions of British Parliamentary representative democracy, by voting in what they deem to be the national interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    So why do you bitch and whine like a 1930s Central European fascist, when the elected representatives act in the best traditions of British Parliamentary representative democracy, by voting in what they deem to be the national interest?
    Well they were all quotes from Churchill (the man not the dog...)

And also can you clarify - who has voted in what they deem to be national interest?

Super poster

And also can you clarify - who has voted in what they deem to be national interest?
    Parliament has. That’s what a representative parliamentary system does.

What you think you’re describing as “democracy” is in fact ochlocracy.

I live on CUK

MPs. That is how representative democracy works in the UK. Didn't you know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Respect my authoritah!

You mean the same guy who helped setup the ECJ, and in a speech in 1946 said "We must build a kind of United States of Europe"?
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You mean the same guy who helped setup the ECJ, and in a speech in 1946 said "We must build a kind of United States of Europe"?
    Where did he say Great Britain should join?

What do you think he meant by "Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America — and, I trust, Soviet Russia, for then indeed all would be well — must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live."
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.