• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More rehash of the same old entrenched positions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    What Original is saying is "Let's say I was stupid and wrong. Very stupid and very wrong. If that is true it doesn't matter because nearly 50% of the British population were also very stupid and very wrong. So it is perfectly alright to get the country shafted for generations". Like so many other simpletons he can't grasp that 'democracy' never did, and never can, mean letting ordinary people decide what happens. Brexit has shown how irrational and self-deluded the average person is.
    Perhaps that is exactly what democracy is.
    A country rises and falls in lock-step with the intelligence of its population.
    There are too many stupids in the world to be able to control, all you can do is be adaptable and fleet of foot and, if possible, profit from the chaos caused by the stupids.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      What Original is saying is "Let's say I was stupid and wrong. Very stupid and very wrong. If that is true it doesn't matter because nearly 50% of the British population were also very stupid and very wrong. So it is perfectly alright to get the country shafted for generations". Like so many other simpletons he can't grasp that 'democracy' never did, and never can, mean letting ordinary people decide what happens. Brexit has shown how irrational and self-deluded the average person is.
      Well I am glad there are incredibly clever people like you around to tell us how to live our lives.

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots and only the very few know what is right for everyone and we should not worry our stupid little heads about it.

Anyway here are a few quotes about democracy for you to read over your porridge and juice

If I had to sum up the immediate future of democratic politics in a single word I should say “insurance.” That is the future—insurance against dangers from abroad, insurance against dangers scarcely less grave and much more near and constant which threaten us here at home in our own island. —Free Trade Hall, Manchester, 23 May 1909

At the bottom of all the tributes paid to democracy is the little man, walking into the little booth, with a little pencil, making a little cross on a little bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or voluminous discussion can possibly diminish the overwhelming importance of that point. —House of Commons, 31 October 1944

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Well I am glad there are incredibly clever people like you around to tell us how to live our lives.

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots and only the very few know what is right for everyone and we should not worry our stupid little heads about it.
        You'll be voting for them on December 12th 2019
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I a so shocked I did not notice before hand that we were all idiots
          After spending some time on this forum, you know now.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

How is that word “democracy” to be interpreted? My idea of it is that the plain, humble, common man, just the ordinary man who keeps a wife and family, who goes off to fight for his country when it is in trouble, goes to the poll at the appropriate time, and puts his cross on the ballot paper showing the candidate he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foundation of democracy. And it is also essential to this foundation that this man or woman should do this without fear, and without any form of intimidation or victimization. He marks his ballot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected representatives and together decide what government, or even in times of stress, what form of government they wish to have in their country. If that is democracy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Commons, 8 December 1944
            So why do you bitch and whine like a 1930s Central European fascist, when the elected representatives act in the best traditions of British Parliamentary representative democracy, by voting in what they deem to be the national interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              So why do you bitch and whine like a 1930s Central European fascist, when the elected representatives act in the best traditions of British Parliamentary representative democracy, by voting in what they deem to be the national interest?
              Well they were all quotes from Churchill (the man not the dog...)

And also can you clarify - who has voted in what they deem to be national interest?

Comment

And also can you clarify - who has voted in what they deem to be national interest?
                Parliament has. That’s what a representative parliamentary system does.

What you think you’re describing as “democracy” is in fact ochlocracy.

Comment

MPs. That is how representative democracy works in the UK. Didn't you know that?

Comment

You mean the same guy who helped setup the ECJ, and in a speech in 1946 said "We must build a kind of United States of Europe"?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      You mean the same guy who helped setup the ECJ, and in a speech in 1946 said "We must build a kind of United States of Europe"?
                      Where did he say Great Britain should join?

What do you think he meant by "Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America — and, I trust, Soviet Russia, for then indeed all would be well — must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live."
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X