• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shall I...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Remind me how he got on the other 7 times he stood.

It's a bit like remembering Henry VII's wives - Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.

But for Farage it's: Failed, failed, failed. Failed, failed, failed, failed.

It's the will of the people. In his 7 attempts, he's totalled 36,620 votes.

You'd think that after the first time when he didn't win, he'd know not to stand again and that his views should be ignored - after all, that's the opinion he supports since after the referendum, but no he kept on trying, kept on getting publicity and preventing healthy political debate by making it all about him and the one thing that he stands for - himself.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Vote Brexit and get Corbyn. That would make IR535 look like a total triviality. All those rich people he's talking about soaking to pay for his Marxist dreams are not Branson and the like, but those with a gross inomce over £50k. Like thee and me...

You have several choices - an unpopular party with a plan for the future, a 70s throwback party with a 70s plan to ruin the country or a joke party with a non-liberal, non-democratic plan to ignore the electorate. Plus a load of no-hopers.

It's a no-brainer. Sadly there's a lot of voters without a brain out there.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        You have several choices - an unpopular party with a plan for the future
        What's this party and what's their plan?

Comment

Vote Brexit and get Corbyn. That would make IR535 look like a total triviality. All those rich people he's talking about soaking to pay for his Marxist dreams are not Branson and the like, but those with a gross inomce over £50k. Like thee and me...
          Do you have evidence for this, or is it just more Project Fear?

Comment

You have several choices - an unpopular party with a plan for the future, a 70s throwback party with a 70s plan to ruin the country or a joke party with a non-liberal, non-democratic plan to ignore the electorate. Plus a load of no-hopers.

It's a no-brainer. Sadly there's a lot of voters without a brain out there.
            All of these can be used to describe the Tories, although I suspect in your mind they fit in the first category.

Their plan for the future seems to revolve around doing whatever the hell they want. Including unlawful prorogation of Parliament and petty childish stunts like not signing official letters, ignoring what Parliament has instructed them. If it's a good idea to hand this lot the unchecked power of both Parliamentary majority and government under the current leadership (and puppeteership) you are indeed a no-brainer.

If you want to respect the result of the referendum have a 2nd one with several leave options (no remain option):

- No-deal
            - Boris Deal
            - Norway type of CU+SM membership etc.

That will stop them trumpeting that the people have voted for no-deal Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              It's a bit like remembering Henry VII's wives - Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.

But for Farage it's: Failed, failed, failed. Failed, failed, failed, failed.

It's the will of the people. In his 7 attempts, he's totalled 36,620 votes.

You'd think that after the first time when he didn't win, he'd know not to stand again and that his views should be ignored - after all, that's the opinion he supports since after the referendum, but no he kept on trying, kept on getting publicity and preventing healthy political debate by making it all about him and the one thing that he stands for - himself.
              And as dire as Farage is, he's still managed to hitch up to the EU gravy train as a European Member of Parliament.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                All of these can be used to describe the Tories, although I suspect in your mind they fit in the first category.

Their plan for the future seems to revolve around doing whatever the hell they want. Including unlawful prorogation of Parliament and petty childish stunts like not signing official letters, ignoring what Parliament has instructed them. If it's a good idea to hand this lot the unchecked power of both Parliamentary majority and government under the current leadership (and puppeteership) you are indeed a no-brainer.

If you want to respect the result of the referendum have a 2nd one with several leave options (no remain option):

- No-deal
                - Boris Deal
                - Norway type of CU+SM membership etc.

That will stop them trumpeting that the people have voted for no-deal Brexit.
                Hopeless, isn't it. Not worth arguing.

Just one small point - Parliament is not there to instruct Government, despite Bercow's machinations. They are there to scrutinise and suggest changes to Government proposals and approve the final version for release into law. Like, for example, approving Article 50 by a huge majority, namely 384 votes.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

i no longer give a flying feck.

i've survived thus far.
                  this shall continue to be the case, whatever.

Comment

Hopeless, isn't it. Not worth arguing.

Just one small point - Parliament is not there to instruct Government, despite Bercow's machinations. They are there to scrutinise and suggest changes to Government proposals and approve the final version for release into law. Like, for example, approving Article 50 by a huge majority, namely 384 votes.
                    You have a very limited view of Parliament’s role.

Parliament is, or course, sovereign, despite what the Tories want to think.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      You have a very limited view of Parliament’s role.

Parliament is, or course, sovereign, despite what the Tories want to think.
                      No, I have a very clear view of Parliament's role thanks, and that of the government within it. And I don't confuse party politics to gain an advantage with constitutional law.

Nor, come to that, do I think this version of the Tories is worthy of government. Its just that the current alternatives are infinitely worse.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X