• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why, Why, Why?!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why, Why, Why?!?

Serious question (I know, I'm asking for trouble on this subforum trying to ask a serious question!) but why does it seem that ex-service personnel in the majority support Brexit?

I live in a village where service personnel come to die (sorry, retire) and without fail, every one I have spoken to supports Brexit with some 'passion'. On here those who have a military background are strong Brexit supporters. You often see the same interviewed on the news.

But why is this? What has caused the correlation between ex-service personnel and Brexit? Is it lack of formal, free thinking education? Is it living abroad, but in the cocoon of a military camp? Is it military training, where service persons are trained to dehumanise the 'enemy'?

Clearly my possible causes are coloured by my own biased views, so what are the real reasons? Why the correlation?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Because they wer old enough to have voted IN in the 70s and smart enough to realise just how far the EU Programme has deviated from what they were voting for and how badly the UK has been affected by dictates from Brussels. As is the case for most people over 60, come to that; its nothing to do with age and all about experience.

Plus servicemen tend to have a better sernse of national pride than the average citizen.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Serious question (I know, I'm asking for trouble on this subforum trying to ask a serious question!) but why does it seem that ex-service personnel in the majority support Brexit?

I live in a village where service personnel come to die (sorry, retire) and without fail, every one I have spoken to supports Brexit with some 'passion'. On here those who have a military background are strong Brexit supporters. You often see the same interviewed on the news.

But why is this? What has caused the correlation between ex-service personnel and Brexit? Is it lack of formal, free thinking education? Is it living abroad, but in the cocoon of a military camp? Is it military training, where service persons are trained to dehumanise the 'enemy'?

Clearly my possible causes are coloured by my own biased views, so what are the real reasons? Why the correlation?
      The two ex-army officers I know are vehement Remainers. They make even me embarrased by the epithets they call Leavers.
      Perhaps it's just the cannon fodder (whose average reading age is 10) that support Leave.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Wetherspoon's lambasted for Brexit beermat campaign - BBC News

Why is Weatherspoons promoting Brexit? I thought you had to support Brexit to be allowed in?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          The two ex-army officers I know are vehement Remainers. They make even me embarrased by the epithets they call Leavers.
          Perhaps it's just the cannon fodder (whose average reading age is 10) that support Leave.
          Not always. Chap in our private close, was very senior in the army with time in NI and Germany, and his wife who is also ex-service are very (very) brexit. They're racist too, but as we hear on here all the time that isn't a correlation so that was just a passing comment

Comment

N They're racist too, but as we hear on here all the time that isn't a correlation so that was just a passing comment
            Well racism correlates well with low intelligence, so perhaps he's one of those thick Ruperts who get their position from family background and connections

The ones I know are bright enough to get senior jobs in the City after leaving.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Because they wer old enough to have voted IN in the 70s and smart enough to realise just how far the EU Programme has deviated from what they were voting for and how badly the UK has been affected by dictates from Brussels. As is the case for most people over 60, come to that; its nothing to do with age and all about experience.
              Loads of crap!

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Plus servicemen tend to have a better sernse of national pride than the average citizen.
              Very likely this! Just not sure the word 'better' is the best to use here...
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                Very likely this! Just not sure the word 'better' is the best to use here...
                By 'national pride' I think he really means 'nationalistic views'

Comment

Might be related to spending more of their working lives around non-natives. Remember a large part of the campaign was brought about from immigration. Of course it's nothing to do with the EU. More likely the result of the UK's illegal pointless conflicts.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why, Why, Why?!?
                    Delilah.
                    Because they're squaddies and therefore a bit fick, innit.

An ex-colonel who is now my sister-in-law's ex-husband is an ardent remainer. When it comes to the EU - not my sister-in-law.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X