Margaret Thatcher predicts the mess of the EU Margaret Thatcher predicts the mess of the EU - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 81 to 90 of 98
  1. #81

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm sorry you are the one making the claim, it's your job to get the evidence.

    After all, it is a "well known fact".
    The Fiscal Impact of Immigration on the UK

    Immigration has made the UK more productive and prosperous - and will again in the future | The Independent

    Sorry, couldn't find anything from Daily Mail to cover your views on this 'analysis'...
    Last edited by CryingSheep; 19th November 2019 at 14:23.
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  2. #82

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    It's based on assumptions, like how many kids they might have etc, when they may or may not return to their original country. Benefits they may claim or not, if their family come over etc.

    Mostly people change the assumptions to support their point of view or whoever is paying for them to do their research.

    On another point of view, its been a while since I visited this sub-forum and it's going wonderfully. You all seem to have something to occupy your time with.
    How looking at back contributions is based on assumptions?
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  3. #83

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    "In 2016/17, the average adult migrant from the European Economic Area (EEA) contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances than the average adult currently living in the UK"

    So they have compared migrants who are predominantly of working age to the native population with 12 million retirees.

    Outstanding.

  4. #84

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    "In 2016/17, the average adult migrant from the European Economic Area (EEA) contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances than the average adult currently living in the UK"

    So they have compared migrants who are predominantly of working age to the native population with 12 million retirees.

    Outstanding.
    But that exactly how you should compare!!! And I think your answer just explains pretty well why migration is usually positive for a country economy, so why all the fuss?

    Anyway, because of thick people like you, there are other studies that only compare with actively working natives and still migrants have a higher contribution!
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  5. #85

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    But that exactly how you should compare!!! And I think your answer just explains pretty well why migration is usually positive for a country economy, so why all the fuss?

    Anyway, because of thick people like you, there are other studies that only compare with actively working natives and still migrants have a higher contribution!
    Yes, next time England play Germany in the world cup I'll expect Shilton in goal and Butcher playing sweeper. Totally fair.

  6. #86

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    Yes, next time England play Germany in the world cup I'll expect Shilton in goal and Butcher playing sweeper. Totally fair.
    I see that if something doesn't support your (thick) views than it can't be fair... Now that seems fair!
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  7. #87

    Double Godlike!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    But that exactly how you should compare!!! And I think your answer just explains pretty well why migration is usually positive for a country economy, so why all the fuss?

    Anyway, because of thick people like you, there are other studies that only compare with actively working natives and still migrants have a higher contribution!
    Well rather than just taking blanket figures which suit your narrative and quoting them why not apply just a small amount of logic.

    So illegal immigrants cannot work in the UK as they do not have the correct paperwork therefore those people are clearly not going to be contributing anything.

    However surely somewhere these immigrants need to live and get some form of nourishment which probably means they are working illegally - normally with someone they know who is a legal immigrant.

    So you could argue yes the legal immigrant is potentially putting more money into the pot than the locals - but how many illegal immigrants are working in this manner which takes money out of the put and lowers the overall 'benefit' provided by immigrants?

    But the main thing is you cannot compared the 'usefulness' of the average native citizen to the average 'immigrant' as there are far to many variables to take into account.

  8. #88

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Cirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rural Rutland
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    So illegal immigrants cannot work in the UK as they do not have the correct paperwork therefore those people are clearly not going to be contributing anything.
    Tell that to the Chinese takeaway in the next town to me. They were raided by the Border Force and had 4 illegals working there. Out-stayed their visitor visas or some such.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

  9. #89

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    Yes, next time England play Germany in the world cup I'll expect Shilton in goal and Butcher playing sweeper. Totally fair.
    I prefer Banks in goal....

  10. #90

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Well rather than just taking blanket figures which suit your narrative and quoting them why not apply just a small amount of logic.

    So illegal immigrants cannot work in the UK as they do not have the correct paperwork therefore those people are clearly not going to be contributing anything.

    However surely somewhere these immigrants need to live and get some form of nourishment which probably means they are working illegally - normally with someone they know who is a legal immigrant.

    So you could argue yes the legal immigrant is potentially putting more money into the pot than the locals - but how many illegal immigrants are working in this manner which takes money out of the put and lowers the overall 'benefit' provided by immigrants?

    But the main thing is you cannot compared the 'usefulness' of the average native citizen to the average 'immigrant' as there are far to many variables to take into account.
    I even had to check the title of the thread cause I got completely lost in all this BS.

    - So illegal immigrants are damaging the UK economy and this needs to be tackled - We can ALL agree on that (lets move on)

    - Legal immigrants (specially the ones from the EU) contribute more to the UK economy than the average native - Most of us agree with this (including you, apparently - lets move on)

    - I don't know what you mean by 'usefulness', but I risk to say whatever it is, the average legal immigrant as more 'usefulness' than average native! - Not everyone will agree on this one, but utterly irrelevant (lets move on)

    So, now that we went pass the obvious, can you (or someone with similar views) explain why any of this is EU fault/responsibility or how any of this will change with UK leaving the EU!?

    p.s. - the usual "we can get back control of our borders" won't apply here as UK does have control of their own borders, especially to limit/block entrance of illegal immigrants!!! I'm pretty sure there isn't any EU law that states the UK border needs to allow xxx thousand illegal immigrants every year, or that UK border control must be incompetent on stopping illegal immigrants at their borders!
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •