• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Margaret Thatcher predicts the mess of the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'll humour you, since English clearly isn't a language you're even vaguely familiar with. An "illegal immigrant" won't have the paperwork to enter a US airport, and certainly wouldn't be able to travel anywhere. As it happens, I travelled home to the UK (from a major US airport) as soon as they opened after 9/11, and the security was tulip-hot.
    There are more illegal immigrants in the US than the EU and most of them arrive at airports or border crossings. Just because US border guards are more "aggressive" doesn't necessarily mean they're any more effective. If you think the paperwork in the US is tough, you've obviously never been to Germany.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      There are more illegal immigrants in the US than the EU and most of them arrive at airports or border crossings. Just because US border guards are more "aggressive" doesn't necessarily mean they're any more effective. If you think the paperwork in the US is tough, you've obviously never been to Germany.

I have been to Germany, and there was no paperwork. As an EU citizen, nothing was required. I look forward to filling out a landing form when we finally leave the EU. I will be completing it in English, but I'm sure that won't be a problem...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I have been to Germany, and there was no paperwork. As an EU citizen, nothing was required. I look forward to filling out a landing form when we finally leave the EU. I will be completing it in English, but I'm sure that won't be a problem...
        A significant proportion of Europeans are bilingual, with English usually their second language. They should be fine reading your chicken scrawl.

Whether you can understand what you are signing is a different question....

Comment

The UK gets 40 million visitors a year flying in from all over the world, I don't think a bit of extra paperwork at the airport will reduce illegal immigration.

In any case Boris isn't planning for any extra paperwork after Brexit, EU citizens will still be able to fly in without filling out a form.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 November 2019, 23:12.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hey, I'll have you know that paperwork has been reduced at our borders. EGates are now available to EU/EEA, USA, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and we no longer require landing cards. On the day the change came in , i was talking to a border force agent and he was very concerned about the lack of landing cards. It's often the only evidence of when a person arrived in the country

Edit: and, before anyone bleats, I noticed last week the Netherlands allow the same countries to use their egates.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Hey, I'll have you know that paperwork has been reduced at our borders. EGates are now available to EU/EEA, USA, Canada, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and we no longer require landing cards. On the day the change came in , i was talking to a border force agent and he was very concerned about the lack of landing cards. It's often the only evidence of when a person arrived in the country

Edit: and, before anyone bleats, I noticed last week the Netherlands allow the same countries to use their egates.
              Don't get me started on those E-gates. They have a 10% failure rate, and I'm one of the 10%.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Don't get me started on those E-gates. They have a 10% failure rate, and I'm one of the 10%.
                So they're good at spotting failures - job jobbed!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  So they're good at spotting failures - job jobbed!
                  I probably asked for that...

Comment

The camera goes into shock? Don't worry old smeg & warty suffer a similar issue.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      The question is, how does anyone know that there are that many illegal immigrants? I mean they're illegal aren't they so not registered anywhere....

same as we know when the remoaners are posting there is a massive amount of tulip about.

The sewage tells the story of the millions who'll miss out | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

In Mactaggart's Slough, the council chief executive, Ruth Bagley, says the last count missed 30,000 people who should have brought in another £18m to council coffers from central government. Primary schools are overflowing, with an urgent need for a new secondary school. Officials guesstimated the missing based on GP surgery numbers – but GP lists were full, and the unregistered flowed into the walk-in clinic or A&E instead.
                      One best estimate of population comes from sewage: Thames Water says the outflow of rich or poor alike reveals true numbers – and Slough has 30,000 more people than officially registered.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X