• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU asking the British government for an extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Because, as we have seen from certain posters on here, nothing matters unless it personally affects them.

When it comes to a trade deal there is no “one size fits all” solution. Everything from fishing to farming to services needs to be discussed and agreed. All the various lobby groups in both the U.K. and the EU will want their say, often with competing interests.
    Ok lets start with

Trade deals can stay the same - I mean they worked before and everyone was happy i guess so why change them?

Fishing - here's a map of UK waters - Common Fisheries Policy | The Institute for Government - stay the hell out of them unless you want to negotiate an agreement.

S'not really difficult unless you make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Trade deals can stay the same - I mean they worked before and everyone was happy i guess so why change them?
      Those trading terms are only available to members of the EU.

The EU won't give the same terms to a 3rd country.

If you look at the best deal any 3rd country (Canada, Japan?) currently has with the EU, it won't be as good as members of the EU enjoy.

You can't have your cake (leave the EU) and eat it (have the same trading terms as if you were still a member)*.

* unless you want to be like Norway, and pay in and follow all the rules of the club with no say
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 16 December 2019, 09:15.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Fishing - here's a map of UK waters - Common Fisheries Policy | The Institute for Government - stay the hell out of them unless you want to negotiate an agreement.
        Unfortunately, many or most UK fishing licences have been sold for lucrative sums by their British holders to overseas interests, with no intervention from the UK government, so many of the foreign fishing vessels in UK waters are completely entitled to fish there.

So actually it's a lot more difficult once you understand the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          Unfortunately, many or most UK fishing licences have been sold for lucrative sums by their British holders to overseas interests, with no intervention from the UK government, so many of the foreign fishing vessels in UK waters are completely entitled to fish there.

So actually it's a lot more difficult once you understand the facts.
          You will probably need to provide some evidence for that.

Here is an interesting article looking from 'both sides'

A ‘Brexit bonanza’ for UK fishing? That’s a fishy tale with an unhappy ending | John Lichfield | Opinion | The Guardian

Comment

You will probably need to provide some evidence for that.

Here is an interesting article looking from 'both sides'

A ‘Brexit bonanza’ for UK fishing? That’s a fishy tale with an unhappy ending | John Lichfield | Opinion | The Guardian
            The link proves the point that it’s not as simple as you make out. There are many different competing factions, and that’s just for fishing (a small industry in the wider scale of things).

Comment

Ok lets start with

The U.K. is the one changing them, by leaving the EU and walking away from all existing trade deals with the EU and arranged through the EU.

Try to understand: Brexit means the U.K. cancelling all existing trade deals with or through the EU, and it is up to the U.K. to negotiate new ones if it wants to.

S'not really difficult unless you make it so.
              That’s one way of doing it.

Also: a large proportion of fish is sold to the EU. Stop selling it there, unless you want to negotiate an agreement.

Comment

The U.K. is the one changing them, by leaving the EU and walking away from all existing trade deals with the EU and arranged through the EU.

Try to understand: Brexit means the U.K. cancelling all existing trade deals with or through the EU, and it is up to the U.K. to negotiate new ones if it wants to.

Also: a large proportion of fish is sold to the EU. Stop selling it there, unless you want to negotiate an agreement.
                Greenland tried it and failed. It left because of a dispute over the common fisheries policy. It's now back in the common fisheries agreement exporting almost its entire stock to the EU and has to abide by EU regulations.

We can guess where Brexit is heading
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Europe won't be any different to other big players - USA, Japan, China, South Korea when noegotiating deals with us. They know we're not poor so can price things well here.

We're an island nation, we should have more fish in our diet. Always love the seafood when I get down to the South West.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Europe won't be any different to other big players - USA, Japan, China, South Korea when noegotiating deals with us. They know we're not poor so can price things well here.

We're an island nation, we should have more fish in our diet. Always love the seafood when I get down to the South West.
                    The fish processing industry is moving over to the EU, so the UK will be importing most of it.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Of course. Nobody’s doubting that if there is the will, trade deals will be done.

My response was to the suggestion that “we already have a trade deal, why do things need to change”.

We should have more fish, and the U.K. has some of the best fishing grounds in Europe. Let’s see if it’s easier to change people’s eating habits than it is to negotiate what should be a simple and beneficial-to-both-sides trade deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X